Flu Jab?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've seen that peope with CKD stages 3-5 can have a flu jab, but is it worth it? I'm in stage 3a. 

I've had flu twice in my life - nasty, but doesn't seem that big a deal. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It's obviously a personal choice but if it's recommended then why not. I always have it as a precautionary measure.

• Posted

I suppose my main problem is that my surgery hasn't contacted me, and I don't want to make a fuss. They seem pretty unconcerned about the CKD, so perhaps I should just ignore it.

• Posted

Hi Stephanie,

i have stage 3a too my nephrologist advice was to not get ill, so i had my flu injection and pnuemonia, you need to ask for it, the surgery wont contact you.  its your choice.

• Posted

Hi,

They recommend you have it as such illnesses can effect your kidney function, they can cause scaring on the insides of the kidneys which in turn effects your GFR.  It is as others have said entirely up to you but it is a chance to protect your kidney function and a lot of people with stage three do not progress so it is worth it.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.