Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

Phoned to add hemochromatosis to my annual travel insurance,

It was nearly £60 extra for 7 months, I did explain I had no organ damage

On the venesection I was undergoing, but I think they look at what could

Happen with this condition. My next insurance I will search other companies

More deeply.next one. With insure and go would probably be double or

Treble that for 12 moths,please let me know in the coming months if

You come across a more receptive insurance company.

Cheers philx

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Phil. I filled in a comparison site months ago just for a bit of fun. Put in all me details, said I was now in maintenance phase, no organ damage etc, and I was surprised at all the excellent quotes that came back. It didn't seem to be an issue at all. Perhaps cos I was in maintenance. I can't remember the names of any of the companies...but they were all good prices. Didn't even seem more than usual.

Anyway, that's my experience.

Cheers.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi Mike

wouldn't it be a great idea for nhs to do travel insurance. They would have all your medical details to hand and give you a quote instantly without having to ask you any questions. and plough some money back into the nhs

Cheers phil

• Posted

Would be the perfect solution. How's the levels going with you? I gave blood again yesterday. That's my third donation since being in maintenance. Will have my levels tested in 10 days time. Hoping my level will still be in the 20's. If it is, I think I'll end up just going every 10-12 weeks. What luxury that will be. My poor vein!!

Hope you're doing well..

• Posted

Hi mike

Go tomorrow last v/section was 616,I see the hemotologist Friday

Glad your maintenance is going well,let's everyone see there's light

At the end of the tunnel, even though you had a rough ride getting

There

Cheers phil

• Posted

Hi, Philx I think there are some companies who are pretty good with travel insurance if indeed you don't have organ damage and other problems.    Of course that doesn't apply to me.     I gave another pint today, and the results were up 905 so I am back up to 2600 and I have no idea why it would go up that much.    I insisted today that I wanted an appointment with the consultant to discuss why there is no stability in my ferritin levels but we shall see how long it takes him to get back to me.    Fed up giving blood every week and I have been giving blood fortnightly for 15 months prior to giving blood for the last 10 weeks, on a weekly basis, and my levels are no better for doing that.    I don't have any answers and I don't think the Consultant will have either but, you never know.   regards Glyn 

• Posted

In Australia, our haemochromatosis association have nutted it out with the appropriate insurance association that having treated haemochromatosis is not an issue for insurance premiums.

We bought travel insurance earlier this year for an overseas trip and it does not even feature.  Are you likely to seek a venesection while travelling overseas?  Do blood donors pay extra insurance because they donate blood (i.e. have venesections)?

Contact your country's haemochromatosis association and get the reality from them.  Support them, they are there fighting for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.