Mirtazapine with sleep disturbance

Posted , 5 users are following.

okay. i been on 30mg of mirt for about 2 months,when i first took it. it knocked me out. the problem i have now is that i dont seem to sleep deep with it or when i take a zopiclone. the doc raised the mirt to 45 last week and it seems to be effecting my ability to sleep. anyone else on here had mirt and found that it effects deep sleep???? im thinking of getting off them and going to venlafaxine which helped me alot few years back

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Mirtazapine is actually paradoxical. The lower the dose the more sedating it is. Not every GP knows this but it is a fact.

I was on 15mg for a year. Reduced down to 7.5mg and that knocks me out at night pretty much. Works better than 15mg.

They tried to put me on 30mg but I had insomnia and was even more alert. Was only on it for 2 night.

Been on 7.5mg for 3 weeks now

• Posted

yeah. not sleeping is aggrevating everything and i was stressing for no reason at all yesterday. i just dont think mirt is the drug for me. when he started me on 30mg. i broke it in half and had just 15mg a few nights that knocked me out. just getting rubbish sleep on them now and taking zopiclone when needed. so i feel like im falling into a huge hole if im not careful
    • Posted

One thing I can say is that when I've been stressed it doesn't matter what I take or the dose- I won't sleep. Mirtazapine works for me but yeah you might need something else. Wish you all the best

• Posted

Hi Milky Joe,

Mirtazapine is known to have a greater sedative effect at 15mg than at the higher doses. I've always had restless sleep on it, but the advantage was that I could get off to sleep to start with, and even if I woke or was disturbed I could always drift back off. So broken sleep has become the norm, but that was better than no sleep at all.

I wonder why your Dr increased the dose when it has been known for many years that higher doses don't enhance sleep.

It is my experience that higher doses increase anxiety which won't help if you can't sleep.

Maybe Mirtazapine is not right for you.

Good luck

• Posted

well i came to him with a weeks worth of insomnia and feeling low. he actually said he should have started me on 45mg. my insomnia usually goes after a few weeks. being on mirt has made it worse for sure. im gonna see him friday as im worse off than when i was on citalopram 
    • Posted

Hi Milky

So when you took 15mg and it worked for you why did you increase?  I wonder if you step back down to 15mg (slowly) it would be better.  Many folk have discussed on this forum that 30mg made their anx & insomnia worse, indeed it is paradoxical - and to be honest not many doctors understand this.  Mirt should always be introduced to the ystem from a low dose of 15mg, I am shocked your doctor said he should have started you off at 45mg ... doctors !!  

Be careful not to suddenly just 'stop'.

How long have you been at 30mg and then 45mg??

• Posted

hi. i was never on 15mg. i started at 30mg, i just broke it in half cos i felt like a zombie all day.i been on 30mg for 7 weeks and 45 now for a week. but my anxiety and sleep are through the roof
    • Posted

I don't really understand why so many folks have an increase in anxiety at the higher doses but there is definately a pattern of that.

Do you think you were better at the 15mg/breaking the tablet in half??  You know if you can sort the sleep out, everything else may well be OK, as insomnia causes anxiety & then depression (or of course the depression may come first) I would be looking at getting back to 15mg.  

If you've been on 30mg for 7 weeks, I would ease down to say 22.5 for 2 weeks, see how you feel, then think about a further taper for 2 weeks, it all depends how the taper go for you.  

Good luck with your doctor.

• Posted

Hi I started on 15mg for my depression and sleep troubles having been on sertraline and zopiclone for a while 3 months before. The dose was upped in may and again to 45mg in june. The past 4 weeks my sleep is back to where I was a year ago, about 2 hours a night. I went to my GP yesterday and he agreed the higher dose was less effective at helping with insomnia. He reluctantly agreed to help me lower the dose- he knows that I was very unhappy to be taking any form if medication and doesn't want to give me any more sleeping pills. I've been given a plan to lower down to 30mg and then look at going down to 15mg.

Hope you can get your insomnia sorted x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.