Fibromyalgia & Tinnitus

Posted , 8 users are following.

Does anyone know if there's a connection to Fibromyalgia and tinnitus? 

In view that there's no cure for either one of them and I have suffered with both symptoms for 25 years, I was curious if any connection can be made to the two of them.

Thanks for your help!

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I also have both. I usually get ear ringing when I take asprin, Tylenol for fibro pain. It's sometimes very loud other times I can tune it out.

i have asked my dr if there was no connection. The most common cause of tinnitus is damage and loss of the tiny sensory hair cells in the cochlea of the inner ear. This damage typically occurs as a result of the normal aging process, and from prolonged exposure to excessively loud noise. Hearing loss coincides with tinnitus.

so must have been all those loud concerts, now I even wear ear plugs to the movie theatre they are so loud my ears ring for days.

there seems to always be a trigger.

• Posted

Thanks for the info -

Your info seems right on target. As I age, the tinnitus gets worse. My ears are damaged from bad absessed ears as a kid and then playing drums in a rock band for quite a while and using power equipment without protecting my ears. My ears get louder if I have any alcohol at all or I fall asleep for a quick cat nap. I''ll wake up with both ears hissing so loud. Sometimes it's unbearable but I just hope the next day they won't be so loud.  Seems the change of seasons really amp them up as well. 

Thank you again and I wish you well..

Glenn

• Posted

Ooooooops I didn't see the response before.

• Posted

No problem - 

Yes, I call it a constant hiss similar to what you hear in the woods at night. Some days it's so loud it makes me crazy. I use my iphone and ear buds most nights when I fall asleep listening to music. I was going to keep a chart with a yearly calendar to track the days to see if there's any similarities year to year but figured that would just make it more complicated. I've also tried Xanax, VItamin B-12 and a few herbal pills made specifically for tinnitus which did pretty much nothing. When I first started taking the B12, I thought I found the cure. My ears calmed down substanitally but that was only for a few days. 

Anyway, thanks for your reply... 

• Posted

Same here loud ear phones didn't help either. Played drums and thought my kids. I remember nagging at my kids not to have the volume up so loud. 

Here I am years later suffering trim the effects of not protecting my hearing.

one of my kids is deaf in one ear from ear phones. 

• Posted

Yes Glen the ear buzzing is one of the worst for me! Really stresses me out! I mainly deal with it at night.
    • Posted

Well as kids, we could walk on water.. Certainly, I never thought of protecting my ears enjoying that loud rock music.. High price to pay for sure.

I'm sorry about your child's ear.. I can imagine headphones jacked up high can do a lot of damage. Is the damage permanent? 

• Posted

I guess all we can do is hope for the days that aren't so noisy. I get so frustrated with my ears are hissing so loud that I get lost in a conversation. 

I guess there are a lot of people that suffer with other conditions far worse. We can only hope for a better tomorrow.

• Posted

actually I have bouts with vertigo every now and then. Not too often. 

My doctor gave me a med called "meclizine" which helps me through that tremendously. I think my vertigo is caused by my migraine headaches though which I get every now and then. 

Between all my ailments, if I was given a majic wand to get rid of one, it would be the tinnitus. Even before the fibro pain and other ailments.

How do you deal with yours?

• Posted

I don't like talking pills. I mainly take ibuprofen 800 or tylenol. My docs have tried to put me on so many different drugs and anxiety medication. I just can't seem to comply with that. When my ears are buzzing at night it does cause severe anxiety. It's really scary to me! I'm dizzy a lot. The doc also prescribed me some antivert, maybe I will try it. When they told me I have fibro I didn't believe it because I truly don't understand what it is. My chest, stomach, head and legs hurt all the time. THEN DIZZINESS AND EAR BUZZING! I don't know what to do!!!

• Posted

Yes he is going to learn to get a hearing aide soon. More young people called the millennium generation have more hearing problems due to listening to I pods so loud than any other generation.

yes when we are young or whatever the warning on electronic devises like the first Walkman regarding hearing we never think we will age and suffer the consequences.

spot on about being young and untouchable. opps here we are trying to warn our kids and grandkids. 

• Posted

Yes. We really need to warn them!!. I am only 45 going through this. People would never believe looking at me that I suffer as much as I do! My docs really frustrate me when they say " YOU LOOK PERFECT" To me that means "your crazy" ughhhhhh. I am just thankful for life! I won't complain but I really wish they knew more about this fibromyalgia.

• Posted

OH yes the you look good thing is very annoying. Have you seen a rhumy ?

they have a much better understanding and I have taken Cymbalta, DEMARDS & bio drugs that helped. Had to stop due to side effects

.also read a clinical study that anti virals can help due the latent shingles virus in the back area which could be the cause on FM.

• Posted

Actually, I'm the same way.. Really can't take many meds. I'm Rx sensitive and sometimes the cure is worse than the original problem. I have never been prescribed antivert. Early in my fibro years, I must have been prescribed every anti depressant known to man. Most doctors didn't even acknowledge Fibro as a legitimate medical issue. They thought we were all wack jobs. Seeing I was first diagnosed with it 1987, not much has improved in terms of treatment. I see Lyrica on the TV so often but the baggage they warn about at the end is enough to make you not take it. The only med I have to take every now and then is, Xanax. It addresses the fibro, the anxiety and the ears hissing to a degree. 

I hope you find some relief soon. I honestly do believe there's a med out there that will help you. It's just being regulated and feeling at peace with yourself taking it. 

We all need to get our quality life heightened and back again.

• Posted

you are so right about this millenium generation. There needs to be some ongoing education on damage to the ears and hearing loss with this generation. I worked in a high school for 10 years and continually said to myself, they'll all pay with this loud music.. I would talk to a lot of kids about it and how to protect their ears. As we all know, when we are young, we are invincible. We all pay later.. UGH... I am sorry about your son's hearing loss.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.