Been feeling so anxious, has anyone felt the same way?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, my names Alice,

Yesterday morning I had my first 10 mg citalopram and I have been feeling more anxious, now I have woke up in the middle of the night shaking, head feels abit weird, and my chest is really hurting me, I know it's Normal to get these side effects and I have been reading them all and most of them say they have been feeling more anxious too.

The thing that I don't like it my chest hurting, before with my anxiety it felt tight and heavy anyway and I get pulpitations quite a lot, it feels abit worst since I took the tablet, I feel like I'm loosing my breathe a little bit like I have to take deep breathes and it's got like achey pains in, like sometimes feels like shooting pains, don't really know how to explain it but it's horrible, I think it's all were I'm anxious and my body is tense up, but just wanted to post this to see if anyone was getting the same or if it's normal...

I hate feeling like this but I just hope it will be worth it at the end of it! And I hope everyone's getting on well and hope you all feel better soon smile

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes it's normal - it usually gets worse before it gets better.  These meds are very slow working, so expect to feel rough for a while yet.  People generally notice the beginnings of recovery around 3-4 months, though some start recovering earlier.  You need lots of patience.

You will get lots of aches and pains too, part being tense and I expect part of it will be the meds

I was ill for many years and within 6 months I'd recovered on these meds.  Just give them time - they really help you.

• Posted

Hey Katecogs

Wondering if you could give me some advice, I have increased my meds from 20mg to 30mg, I am not experiencing the side effects I had when I first started last year, I'm having cold shivers, anxious and intrusive thoughts, shaking, sweating, and I really want to cry my eyes out but I can't, please tell me is this normal when increasing??

• Posted

Yes it's normal.  You can get different side effects.  I've been on these meds twice and both times had a completely different experience and side effects, so increasing could do the same I reckon.  I've never had shivering, but have read many people do.  Had intrusive thoughts which weren't nice - but they do go.

• Posted

Thanks your advice and reassurance is always to kind and help someone so much, my sent old me to increase to 30mg but I'm thinking should I do it gradually 20mg one day, 30mg the next then 20mg etc, or just stick with the 30mg.

Where would we be without this group

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.