Reducing Citalopram.... side effects and anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All.... I posted on here a while ago about reducing my dose of 20mgs of Citalopram. I have been doing the gradual reduction but am worried I have gone too fast. Problem is I am very impatient to come off this drug and now I am paying the price. I have been on Citalopram for 8 years (hence my desperation to be free of it). I have been counting up the shards of my pill cutting and it looks like I did around 15 days of 17.5 mg, 23 days of 10mg then 23 days of 7.5mg and I have done 19 days of around 5 mg. I am having a dreadful time and am reluctant to go back up as the adjustment up is just as bad as down. My husband revealed on my recent birthday that we couldn't afford a trip out as he has accumulated a debt of 10k I didn't know about. We had already been having problems and this has added so much more stress on me as I now need to find an extra 400-500 quid a month to cover the part of the bills he is no longer able to afford... (we both self employed) .... I'm so upset and anxious and struggling to keep it all together. Symptoms have included pure fury, crying, anxiety attack, short temper, feelings of being out of my body, exhaustion, sudden sharp sweating, brain pressure, vertigo, and bad memory, stupid mistakes in daily tasks. A feeling of real emotional vulnerability and as if walking through a dream. Sleep is interrupted by vivid horrible dreams. I have even woken myself up shouting ..... (strangely calling my own name. Spooky!) I honestly can say the only thing that has helped is swimming... fast freestyle for 40-50 minutes followed by hot/cold showers. I know if I add up all the days 79 days is probably to quick to go from 20mg - 5mg but I have come so far now I am dreadfully reluctant to go back to a higher dose. Can anyone help me? The doctors have been rubbish. Told me I should come in to see if there's something else wrong with me as Citalopram withdrawal should be easy the way I have done it. I think we all know that going on and coming off this drug is tough. I'm looking down the end of a tunnel and hoping that I can make it back to some daylight.... this forum has been my only useful company on this journey so thank you in advance for comments... btw I'm not anti Citalopram it's just after 8 years I need to stand on my own two feet again. I'm just hoping I can.... xxxx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I think you answered youre own question about how to get off Cit. Exercise. Just keep doing it. I'm reducing off 40 mg's and i'm taking my sweet time doing it. I exercise daily and this helps a lot. I also started doing yoga, lol, and it seems to help also. Nutrition supposedly helps also. This is a rough ride so hang on but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Its up to you to make it as bright as possible!!!!!!

• Posted

Thanks John.... I will stick to it..🏋🏼🏊🏻???🏊🏻???🏊🏻???🏊🏻???🏊🏻???.. how long have you taken and what mg are you at? Do you think I went too fast?

• Posted

Hi again. I started taking Cit in Jan of this year. I am now down to 30mg's. By the posts I read in here I would say u have reduced too fast but I am far from being an expert. All I know is that this is one heck of a ride!!!!! More like a journey. Lol. Make a plan and stick to it. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.