Can GERD or Sjogrens cause restricted lungs

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last year diagnosed with sjogrens ,GERD (Barretts) and chest CT scan showed tiny lesions and apical tips fibrosis.. Get pains and heaviness in chest sometimes..put it down to GERD.I was also told to get follow up chest scan and see pulomonologist....a year later had my follow up.....did a pulmonary function test (spirometry) Diagnosis is moderate restriction of lungs (not expanding fully on breathing in) Been told to get Lung Volume test.

​My question : Can GERD or sjogrens cause this condition . i read some auto immune diseases like sarcoidosis causes this but no mention of sjogrens or GERD.

​Never been a smoker (however father and brother were chainsmokers and smoked in the house ...back in day when huge ignorance about effects of secondary smoke.) Dont have asthma.

Waiting for appointment for lung volume test

Any ideas anyone??

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Simple answer - it's possible.

Reflux travelling full column may breach the upper oesophageal sphincter and aspirate into the lungs.

Visit the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk and find the chapters on extra-oesophageal reflux and otorhinolaryngological (ENT) in the Other Related conditions section which mentions pneumonia and bronchiectasis.

Sjögren's can also be a cause of oesophageal conditions from poor peristalsis through insufficient lubrication.

There has always been an association between asthma and GERD. It's suspected the latter causes the former.

• Posted

I have C.R.E.S.T & the Scleroderma in "CREST" is attacking my lungs...last August 2015 I was admitted into hospital I thought I was having a heart attack so did the ER I couldnt breath after heaps of test Ive been diagnosed with Fibrosis in my lungs,its worse when the weather is real cold I become breathless, Dr said the Scleroderma is making my lungs go hard.. Sjogrens is in the same family as Lupus, Sclerderma (CREST) so I'd say yes it is from your Sjogrens....have you had a Cat Scan??

• Posted

Yes, had a CT scan with contrast. Have bilateral paryenchymal bands on lower lobes. also had a lung volume test ...going to see the pulmonolgist today. My elderly mother has COPD (amongst other major organ issues) and needs oxygen 24/7 and that scares me. Though from what i have now read obstructive and restrictive lungs are totally different . I cant find much on parenchymal bands except possible causes could be from asbestos or jobs in 'dusty' environment (quarries, coal mining etc) sarcoidosis (auto immune) unless I am having a sen. moment and misread everything.

?As for the fibrosis.... the radiologist said it was age related and the lesions have now disappeared.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.