Gabapentine rage side

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been suffering from chronic pain ever since I had a spinal surgery. I have always found it ridiculous that physicians are careful and hasitant when prescribing opioids and completely reckless when it comes to non opioids. After complaining of extreme aggression while taking gabapentin my doctor has since prescribed this on another two occasions (just to make sure), and stopped after the same results reoccured. One symptom that I haven't geared anyone mention is apathy which is something that continues to be a problem since taking this medication. Has anyone else experienced this after taking gabapentin ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steve,

Yes I'm a nutshell on feeling a lot of moodiness and being very short with family members while on gaba. I recently broke out in hives after being on it for over 6 months.

I'm pretty certain it was the Gabapentin that caused my hives. As soon as I stopped taking it my moods got better, no more terrible stomach pain and clear headed.

I'm wondering if you meant empathy and not apathy. I'm not sure what apathy relates to and if it's empathy I never had that. I still always cared if others were hurting amongst other things going on in their lives.

I am with you when you mention about the Drs being careless in prescribing this medication. They need to stop and we, as patients need to begin reporting all of the negative things Gabapentin is doing to us!

• Posted

Hi Steve, I was on gabapentine during Chemotherapy and suffered severe apathy and thought it was due to the chemotherapy. It may well have been due to the gabapentine. I have since stopped it as it is a very toxic drug. I had it again briefly after stopping fentanyl but have stopped it due to it being highly addictive.

Unfortunatly the apathy is still there, but I am happier being fentanyl and gabapentin free. These drugs are prescribed too easily with no thought as what happens when you want to stop them.

Yes I think gabapentine makes you loose your mojo, it is a powerful mind altering drug.

• Posted

I felt compelled to respond to your post as your correct about the rage that can occur from the use of this drug, and the lack of discussion surrounding it. I have a very long hisrory with Gabapentin. 20 years to be exact. I wont go in to the pharmacology and so on. You can do that your self. Just want to share one story with you. Unknown to most, Gab can be abused. It contains addictive properties, and when taken in large quantities (6000mg for example) it provides energy, dulls pain, provides stamina, focus, massive energy, and just an overall feeling you can do anything. Here's the catch. To maintain those "benefits", you will constantly have to increase the dose. I personally reached 24-26,000mg a day. Yeah you read that right. Well something occured and suddenly i was not able to access the drug. I wont go in to the range of affects both short and long term i experienced, and there were so so many believe me. Ill stick with the rage. Day 3 of no Gab, i actually got out and played volly ball with some friends. During a v,olly one of the guys made a call i didnt agree with. I made a comment about it. He said something back. All of the sudden i had a psychotic snap. I attacked him. Broke his nose, 2 of his fingers, and ruptured his ear drum. the rage i felt was just insane. Ive never hurt a fly in my life. I couldn't control or stop my self. My friends were stunned. I was arrested, then baker acted. I know for a fact people have viciously attacked others on this drug. Yes, it can cause rage, both while on it and coming off of it, at various doses reacting differently for different people. You dont know the half of it.

• Posted

Thanks Steve...I've been on Gabapentin for just under 1 year. Dosage was increased to 1800 mg, and tigling in both legs was almost abated. Most recently ( 2 months ago)

I stated getting hives on my arms, feet and hands. Totally messing up my sleep as hives only appear when I'm in bed. Cortisone cream helps, but not totally.

Scheduled doctor appointment for this week. 

Thank-you again for posting.

Norm

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.