My Mirtazapine and Medications story

Posted , 4 users are following.

This is my story make of it what you will, and make your own minds up!

First of all I am a codiene addict as well as a depressive, I have been attending clinics, counselling, doctors, taking part in a reduction program in a bid to recover, for the past 5 years I have been on Fluoxetine, they barely worked and my depression went fairly untreated for years, and as a result my addiction got worse too, I used it as a coping mechanism. 

I had stomach cancer 2 years ago, I had surgery and most of my stomach was removed, as a result I lost well over 15st as I was morbidly obese, I am now about 13st. Since being put on the mirtazapine for the two weeks, I couldnt eat properly and lost more weight and plummeted down to 10st and looked anorexic, the pills made me so thirsty I drank so much water and juices it overwhelmed my kidneys and they recently started failing.

I went to try and stand up and move, I couldn't the pain was unimaginable I couldnt move, I was bed bound, we called the GP who came out and said there is "nothing medically wrong" to her i said, hello, I cant stand or move, and she blamed it on my addiction and literally said it was in my head. 

When I could walk, my mum and I went to the surgery and saw someone different, she had to guide me, I kept losing my balance, I went deaf in my right ear, I was told to get some urgent blood tests, I was found to be profoundly anaemic, white blood cells through the roof, kidneys failing, inflammation markers going crazy.

I have experienced increases in the migraines i suffer, I had suffered about 16 of the Rare and common reactions to mirtazapine, it was all put down to an Acute reaction to the drug, I have since taken myself off of them and the fluoxetine and feel so much better as a result.

Complaint to the care commisioning group is now in over the complete misdiagnosis from the first gp who couldnt be bothered to listen to my issues because I am a painkiller addict from what she kept giving me of shoulder injuries!!! 

use this medication at your own peril, it wasnt good for me, but it may be good for you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You've certainly been through so much. I wish you all the best in the future Andrew

• Posted

I'm so sorry that you have been through so much. I'm lost for words. I had the opposite reaction as far as weight on mirt. I was down to 76lbs when I took seroquil and I can relate to docs not listening. I'm 5'1 and when I went to my psychiatrist that monitors my meds I actually told him if he didn't change my med I would b hospitalized if my weight dropped any lower. yeah I had to tell my doc as if it wasn't noticeable I could see all my bones I was withering away to nothing. I'm a healthy weight now and sleep but I also have to take klonopin with the mirt. And your correct this med isn't for everyone otherwise they would only make one med. As far as my depression I do feel depressed still and all my doc ever says is do you want counseling. I know there is a program through Yale. it's called aware as far as addiction they come into your home but idk how much they can help on your medical conditions. And this program might not be right for you. I do know they do drug tests and put a GPS on you. But it's just food for thought. I don't do well with ssri like Prozac and I tried wellbutrin with mirt and I was up all night and my heart was racing bad. Maybe a pain management would be helpful along with a GP doc or surgeon to monitor your other medical conditions. it's hard to find good docs and counselors. But just keep trying researching and family or friends for support. one thing that helps me on depression is thinking about very young children or even you that suffer from cancer or leukemia because it makes me realize my situation could always be worse. I have an addiction 2 but I don't care 2 say what. I have been with my hubby for 28 yrs and he is extremely mentally and verbally abusive. it has been physical only a few times but I keep thinking he's gona change so I'm facing having to make a decision of leaving him cuz I don't think I will get better if I dont. But easier said than done. Just know your not alone. And the more support the better. I've isolated myself from no break from the abuse and I'm starting to realize I need to get away from it. I hope you feel better physically and mentally. my best regards to you. moma s

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.