Recently diagnosed with Migraines

Posted , 7 users are following.

So about 3 weeks ago I started to get weird spots, blurs and swirls in my vision with a bad headache so went to the opticians and they referred me to the doctor.

Went to the doctor and he gave me co-codamol 15mg and that seemed to work but only for a few hours in the morning, vision problems and headache came back at around 11-12 in the morning so took more pills and that wasn't as affective as the first lot I took.

Went back to doctor to ask for some stronger pills and he referred me to the hospital ACU unit.

Went to the ACU and after 4-5 hours of them consulting various people they gave me naproxan 500mg to take with the co-codamol and asked to go back in 2 days if things didn't improve.

Things didn't improve so went back to ACU who then gave me a CT scan and that came up clear (thank goodness).

They still don't know what is causing it,  things being thrown around are it being related to epilepsi which I had when I was younger and/or floaters in my eyes.  They've sent me home and told me to just continue taking the combination of meds and see if it helps,  if symptoms get worse or the meds don't work then they'll have me in to do more tests including an ECG (I think they said).

Been almost 4 weeks now since my head started banging with no sign of it going anywhere,  I wish I knew what was wrong.

Now I need to book an appointment with my GP to get more meds before these run out in 2 days time...lovely.

Anyone else experienced migraines for this long?

Any advice?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My daughtet is 12 and her migraines haven't stopped since mid august ( this is her 2nd round with first round having lasted 23 days).

Pain relief not given this time round. First time round nothing worked.

Blood test results reveal severe anaemia. One iron infusion later and migraines have only eased slightly. More bloods next week testing for coeliac disease ( in kids, migraines generally is the outcome). MRI being organised after next lot of bloods. On waiting list for a neurologist (we're in australia so waiting time could be at least 2yrs).

Maybe a blood test may help for you?

Wishing you all the best

• Posted

Rub vicks on your forehead and lightly on your eyelids. Start off with a little, the numbing sensation can be too much for some people. Over time be more liberal with the amount of vicks applied. This will only provide approx. 15 minutes of relief after which time wipe it off then reapply in about 30 minutes. Spearmint oil works well also, but NEVER GET IT IN YOUR EYES!!!!!

I find that for many of my migraines, which I have 24/7/365, the key is to somehow change the pain sensation that I am experiencing, this somehow breaks the cycle and allows for the pain to diminish in amplitude. For me they never go away completely, but I would rather have a low grade migrain than a barn burner.

• Posted

I too have suffered prolong migraines, albeit they very though that time in their intensity.

I use sumatriptin which works on some but not when I am having a hemiplegic migraine.

Am in agree with trying the vics vapour rub or better still strong tiger balm, again for me it is a bit hit and miss if it works at all, but sometimes I get lucky!

Dark room but don't over sleep and be careful over using codine as too much can in itself cause headache, as can may pain killers.

I hope you find something that works for you soon and get some relief.

Hopefully you will not end up like many of us including myself, battling these every day, year upon year for weeks of nit mon the at a time. 😭😭😭

Take care xx

• Posted

My daughter had a continuous migraine for a couple of years. I actually know of someone else who has lived with continuous migraine for years and years. He goes on with life. He is a producer and happens to be the son of friends of ours. It is possible to live with it and still be very successful. It sucks, but life does go on. I hope you find relief soon.
  • Posted

Hi, I in the same situation as u, go n see ur GP and get pregabalin as a preventative medication and u need to get son 300mg dispersable aspirin and take two in a mouthful of water and ur migraine will be gone within the hour. Hope this helps u.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.