Problems with medication (Opera Singer)

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am an opera singer and live in Corfu. Every year I do around 160 shows during summer in various hotels on the island with my crossover group.

I am 49 years old and was diagnosed with hypertension in 2012. Since then I have taken 30mg of Adalat CR (slow release) successfully. Last year in November my cardiologist added Co-Approvel 300mg (in winter) and 150mg (in summer) to the mix and told me to take the Adalat twice daily. My BP is normally then around 120/80.

During the hot Corfu summer I really started to experience problems with this combo. I was continuesly tired and dizzy. Sometimes the BP would spike after shows (180/110). Other times it would drop to 110/60. So during the whole summer concert season I was micromanaging my blood pressure.

When the season however recently started to change into autumn, I started to experience extreme fatigue. My blood pressure shoots up to 150/90 if I walk from the bedroom to the kitchen and falls rapidly when I sit down. My pulse, which is normally between 60 and 70 will shoot up to 80 or 90 and then comes down again when I rest.

Today, because of the colder weather I have taken 300 mg of Co-Approvel and it just makes me feel dizzy and jittery.

About ten days ago I also started to have a kidney infection that I need to take antibiotics for at the moment. At first my BP was (probably because of the infection) low at night. Twice 80/49. Today it was high again, hence the fact that I took the double dosage.

I am totally at a loss. Right now my BP reading is 122/86.

In the last two weeks I had blood tests and saw a cardiologist who did a ECG and heart sonar. All fine. He could not explain my fatigue and BP fluctuation. Maybe I am just overworked? I took off from work for ten days but I don't seem to improve. Plus I am on my second five day course of antibiotics for the kidneys that, at times, really hurt.

Hope there is someone out there that can help.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi and welcome to the forum, I'm sorry to hear of your bp plight, there's nothing worse than not knowing how to control a symptom of our disease and the problem is that the more you stress the more erratic your bp will become.

Has anyone given you a solution that will help to maintain stable bp? maybe its time your Dr looked at changing your meds, it does sound like you do take your pressure quite often, you could be making it go up with anxiety, have you had 24 hour monitor yet.

• Posted

Hi. Normally I only check it early in the morning. But since I started to feel so crappy I take it more often. What bothers me most at the moment is the constant fatigue. I am going to try and see a Dr tomorrow. Hopefully he'll have an answer for me.

• Posted

I see you don't mention anywhere what your blood pressure was at the start of all this. If it wasn't excessively high in the first place there's a chance it could be better managed with a few lifestyle changes and a reduction in medication.

• Posted

When I was prescribed the Co-Aprovel it was hovering regularly around 150/90.
    • Posted

I am working on my diet and have lost around 10kg since June.
    • Posted

150/90 is on the high side, but I would have thought it could be managed with a few lifestyle changes and minimal medication, if any, particularly at your age. My BP crept up to 150/90 in my mid-50s, 15 years ago, but I managed to avoid medication. You've done well to lose 10kg in such a short time (but don't go too fast, as that can make you feel weak too). Weight loss is a good way to lower BP. Cutting back sharply on salt is another essential and you should limit your intake of carbs too, as well as exercising regularly (brisk walking, swimming or cycling). Some people find taking a m@gnesium supplement helps as well. It helped me, but not everyone can tolerate it as it can cause diarrhoea.

It sounds to me as if your medications are at the root of your current symptoms, rather than your BP.

• Posted

Thanks Lily. I'll ask my GP to investigate. He did mention in the past that taking Adalat is a bit "old fashioned".

• Posted

There ate some very good bp meds on the market but use them you need to know what's actually causing it to be high in the first place, get him to sort out your kidneys as they can cause bp spiking, also make sure you are not dehydrated and drinking adequate water,

• Posted

I drink A LOT of water. I do have a kidney infection at the moment and taking Ciproxin for it. But I was wondering if it could not have been caused by the fact that when I sing and I press the BP up "artificially". Often when I come down from the stage the pressure is around 180/110 but it goes down within an hour or two. Wish I could find a dr that work with opera singers' blood pressure.

• Posted

What I mean is, can artificially pushing up the BP several nights a week singing opera causes a kidney infection?
    • Posted

No but being run down and not getting enough sleep and having kidney infection could send it up, this may sound strange but when your singing are you breathing correctly
    • Posted

Yes. But with opera the technique is to push down and out with the ribcage to hold the support. Anchored in the legs. Quite an extreme pressure. After 30 years of doing this I also have a hiatus hernia that I need to micro manage during performances. Maybe it's time to hoist the white flag. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.