PT after a tri mal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I'm curious to know what others have experienced in PT after a tri mal injury and surgery. I'm three weeks in to the PT and I think it's going well but have nothing to compare it against. And we do a toe flex / stretch that is excruciating. Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi  I had ankle surgery on 19/8/16 after break and dislocated ankle , got my pot off last week and first physio, left with more questions than answers as pt  did not know if I could weight bare yet give 2 exercises to do with a dressing gown belt and next appointment for 2 nd november feel it is a waist of time and just doing as much as I can , until ankle swells the rest with ice , was hoping to be given a time line for driving and returning to work but she did not know, has anyone else felt that pt was no help
  • Posted

I am not one who was satisfied with PT experience. Less than 1 week after being released to weight bearing as tolerated, therapist was wanting me to balance with full weight on leg. My ankle just screamed against this. His nonverbal communication was that each exercise needed to be perfect. After one visit I went home with spasms and uncontrolled pain. Canceled the next visit. Didn't work with him again. The next therapist did very little. I asked when massage, prescribed by doc, would come into play, and she said they didn't do at this clinic. I had my right ankle surgically repaired after fracture about 20 yrs ago and PT did do massage, and I really think it made a big difference. I plan to private pay for massage. Just need to quit talking about it and do it. I had 12 PT visits and was dismissed.

Now...not to say that others experiences are not better. Like all things, with whom u work can be a crap shoot. My first experience almost 20 yrs ago was so good, I think it colored this experience because I kept waiting for things to look the same.

So many factors come into play with respect to outcome. I do have restrictions because of other joint issues. The right ankle has arthritis and really became a problem because of the exercises. I have been surprised at reading how little information some people get about their status and what to expect. Benefit of this forum. To Wendy, check with ur doc about weight bearing. He determines by how the fracture is healing. While I was still non weight bearing, I could do exercises like circling my foot, flexing back and forth, writing alphabet. Everything around the ankle has not been moved or had weight put on it during recovery. U will experience pain as u ask it to get back to work.

Again to Wendy, if u did not fracture ur pedal foot for the car, u should be able to drive. I have seen some people write about returning to work in short course, while others take longer. It just all depends on u and ur circumstances. There does come a point where u just want life to get back to normal. And it will. Maybe in a new way. But it will.

Best wishes to u both.

• Posted

Hello - not sure what a trimal injury is but three months ago I broke Tib & Fib and dislocated the Talus jnt.  So had surgery and now have plate with 8 screws plus 2 long screws on opposite side.  

I began Physio 3 weeks after surgery and it's been fantastic and I certainly wouldn't be where I am today without it.  My physiotherapist has worked very hard with me and he's bullied me.   But I've worked very hard too, doing my exercises three times every day without fail and it's definitely paid off.

3 months later and ok I still have some pain but it's lessening and I'm walking normally without any aids and yesterday managed to climb and descend the staircase normally.

I'm 72.  It's a long haul and damned hard work but keep at it if you want to feel normal again.

• Posted

Me again !   Sorry forgot to say -   3 months prior to breaking my ankle, I had a total hip replacement on the same side !!   and in four months time, am having the opposite hip replaced !!  So, it's not been an easy ride for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.