Dysmenorrhea- painful periods

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi my name's Yasmin and I have even suffering bad periods since the very first day I got them at the age of 11. I am now 21.. 10 years for every month without fail I have been in the worst pain possible. I have never had a happy period like those women we all envy skipping in the garden in adverts. 

I have had scans and blood tests so many times and they have all come back positive- which is quite annoying now as I feel they are missing something. 

I take co codamol and used to take mefenamic acid- neither have helped. Nor do evening primrose or any herbal medicines. 

What happens when I am on: 

A week before I am craving as normal with my moods going up and down and aches everywhere. 

Day 1: numbing from my waist down and arms; panic attacks; my mum has to feed me and dress me/sometimes wash me as I am too weak; my body switches from hot to cold in seconds (I would sweat and shiver); sensitive to touch (lower back and stomach); usually in a state where I look like I have been possessed and I can't remember anything the next day- I am on the floor a lot and seem to drift off like I am not there anymore? according to my family. It feels like someone is stabbing me over and over but very slowly. 

PLUS: I can feel the eggs releasing.. every single time this leaves me breathless like someone just punched me in the chest and I scream as if i am having the worst contractions- my neighbours have banged down my door many times thinking something was wrong rolleyes 

Day 2: pretty much the same 

Day 3-4: pain eases and I am able to leave the house 

(usually last around 6-7 days) 

I am not allowed out or to go to work or university because it is physically impossible to even stand up on my own.- I commute to uni as I couldn't move away while still suffering- nothing feels better then crying in your mums arms no matter what age. 

It has been 10 years so as you can imagine I have tried every type of food, drink, yoga position possible and nothing is helping me. 

I have been told to take certain pills- which can reduce fertility as well as having my womb removed by another nurse (which is ridiculous at my age) 

NOTE: It is not a case of heavy bleeding, it is the PAIN. This seems to be misunderstood and still til this day my GP and doctors mistake this for 'heavy periods' 

My life is planned around my periods, I miss out on so much because of it. I have read so many articles online and it doesn't help everyone. Hot water bottles trigger me to throw up. any smell of food drives me crazy I get so put off. I go to the gym which still does nothing for my periods. 

1 thing that helps - rarely - fresh peppermint tea which we grow in the garden for these special occasions and talking to myself like a mad woman. I know it sounds crazy but when i hum i can feel the vibrations in my stomach which help? I leave the radio on and find myself singing to everything while rocking back and forth on the floor in my mums arms holding a bucket in my hand to throw up in. 

The way I get through the day is to cry ( sometimes for 12-13 hours straight ) 

One more thing: for 3 years I have had IBS on and off and this doesn't cause any other pain my periods are still as they were before- so I have already cut out certain food and drinks etc. 

I could go on for hours about what else happens on my period but I think you all get the jist of it. 

If anyone has any advice then PLEASE help me. If not then thank for you taking time to read about my life of periods.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have u tried taking the pill so u dont get periods?
    • Posted

I've been told many time to take the pill and the side affects have put me off. Plus that isnt something I would want to do, I know it is an easy route to go down but it's not for me.

Taking the pill wouldnt stop it, it would just delay it and cause other pains during the month 

• Posted

I think ud b silly not to consider it thousands of wonen tske it every day. Im not entirely sure there is a huge list of side effects than many suffer for any length of time and surely the benefits by far outweigh the terrible week u have ur whole life stops? U take opiate painkillers to reduce the pain im sure they have side effects think of it as re living ur life becsuse just now ur just suffering needlessly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.