Why did my DWP decision maker call me?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Ive recently had a face to face pip assessment after requesting a re assessment due to worsening of condition. The decision id now with the powers that decide. Today they called me to clarify exactly how long my condition has been significantly worse for. I sent extensive medical evidence that I thought explained this. Ftr it has been the case for the last 12 months but I didnt ask for the reassessment until 6 months ago. I feel like I've said something negative towards my claim...

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jodie

You are very brave. My condition has got worse but I cannot cope with the stress of it all so I didn't bother saying anything. Now I'm due to have my review assessment. I wish i didn't have to. They have said they are coming to my house and I've no idea what to expect. I know I will probably and up worse off after this as i have been advised that most people are getting reductions lately sad

• Posted

called you ask  of condition to make decision for how long or change awards. 
  • Posted

I have only been getting low rate care for the last two years, and don't expect that to increase, but I would hope to score on the mobility side this time and thinking about it I can't understand how I didn't last time. Possibly might not get high rate but I'll challenge it if not.

• Posted

I get higher mobility but from advise that I have received then i think they are lowering nearly everyone. So I may loose my car
    • Posted

That's because of the DLA rule of walking no more than 50 metres would have got you the Higher rate of Mobility..

?Under PIP the distance has been reduced down to 20 metres to get the Enhanced rate Mobility.

?Those that can walk between 21 metres and 50 metres will be down graded to Standard Mobility 

• Posted

What I find rather amusing is when I hear people wanting to tell the DWP for the DLA to PIP conversion that when they claimed DLA they said that they could only walk 49 metres then by a miracle the distance drops to 19 metres - oh yeah! Those attempting that will have to prove that the reduced distance is down to a medical issue and not just down to wanting to make sure that they keep their car.
    • Posted

Ive just dug out my supporting evidence that suggests that on a bad day I can walk 20metres or less but possibly on a good day I could manage 50-100 but with the full support of someone and in constant pain on both occasions. Ive no idea whether the criteria needs me to be able to do this independently or whether my getting full support counts me out of the ruling? I'm not overly confident, actually.

• Posted

That's interesting - I mean the ability to measure exactly the distance.

?This subject has been discussed before on here. How anyone can measure  how far they walk is a complete mystery that is unless they actually measure it.

?My own opinion on the distance that I could walk was way out. I thought it was under 20 metres  but when I measured it it became over 22 metres.

?As for having evidence that it is no more than 20 metres I do wonder how that came about.

?I was assessed at the spinal unit at hospital many years ago on a walking machine which came up with under 40 metres. A report was made to the GP stating that figure. Once again when I measured out the distance as I knew it must be more than 40 metres I found that it was well over 50 metres.

?I sent the report to the DWP (DLA re-assessment)  and to be on the safe side I also told them on the claim form what the true measured distance was they sided with the Consultant and eventually re-awarded High rate Mobility based on the 40 metre assessment.

?They must have disbelieved what my surveyors tape said.

• Posted

PIP assessors don't generally specify how far they think a claimant can actually walk.  They tend to stick to the overall descriptor.

• Posted

I have seen claimants who can walk 100m end up with enhanced mobility under PIP.  This is because they cannot do it reliably or repeatedly.  To be judged capable of doing something you have to be capable of doing it throughout the day, as often as needed - not just once.  Also if your bad days add up to more than 51% of the time, your decision should be based on what you can do on bad days as this is the majority of the time.
  • Posted

Hi Jodie,

I believe that the ruling says that you must have had difficulties for 3 months and expect them to last for at least 9 months, so saying you've had them for past 6 months should be absolutely fine.  Good luck x

• Posted

I thought that was just for the initial claim - eligibility to claim at all depends on this criteria.  If a condition worsens a higher award can be made and backdated to the date you made them aware of it (assuming of course that they agree!!).
  • Posted

As it became significantly worse 12 months ago and I'm still suffering the symptoms of the same relapse, I wondered if they'd think I might improve and not be eligible for High rate. Realistically, my condition won't improve but they could suggest symptoms might. I don't know, I'm sure they're not going to be particularly giving... I'm just trying to disect the purpose of their call.maybe I'm over thinking!

• Posted

Hi jodie, as sukes says, but when you reported your"e change did they send you a questionair to fill out? The date on this would be the start date for the change and any back payments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.