Bunion surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had bunion surgery at the end of August and I was pain free. I had a very good Surgeon, I went back after 2 weeks and had my dressing removed and was given a splint to wear as well the special shoe they gave me after the operation and crutches.

I went again this week ( 6 weeks after op) and was discharged and told to start walking slowly slowly. I'm having trouble putting my foot down, I seem to be walking on the side of my foot.i asked the doctor I saw and asked him about Physiotherapy and he said no there is no need. What I would like to know is there any exercise I should be doing? Thanks

Kind regards

Victoria

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My treatment is almost the same as yours, I too had my 6 week check and was told to walk. It is easier said than done! I am a bit Afraid to put weight on my foot but I am pleased that most of my shoes fit and are comfortable. I can walk on my whole foot but very slowly and I haven't tried to drive yes. I am sure it will be ok in time. Take care

• Posted

Thanks Jan

I can only put Birkenstocks toe post on at the moment because, my foot is still swollen and am frightened to wear normal shoes at the moment because I know they won't go on my foot and they will catch on my big scar!! It sounds that you are recovering quicker than me! I'm sure I will be on the mend shortly. Thanks for your reply and I wish you a speedy recovery. Kind regards Victoria x

• Posted

I recommend physiotherapy, I have had a few sessions and they have helped me enormously. I have problems with my hip and back from years of walking wonky and there was the issue of muscle atrophy to deal with. My physio has given me lots of massage (not on my feet!) and exercises to strengthen my ankles, knees, thighs and back. I'm 4 months post op and am progressing nicely, still stiffness and some swelling in my feet but I have come a long way from that 6 week check up when I could hardly bend my feet. The walking is taking a long time to come right for me and I'm still working on it. Good luck with the rest of your recovery, it can take a full year so don't lose heart when you have setbacks, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. There's also a great page on fb called I survived a bunionectomy, there's lots of good advice and help on there.

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Thanks for your reply. My surgeon did send me a copy of the letter which he  send to my GP after my 2 weeks visit saying that they will start me on Physiotherapy to get me mobile again at  my six weeks visit. That was this week and unfortunately I never saw my surgeon but a different Doctor who discharged me,I asked him about the Physiotherapy and he said no need. I will ring up my fracture clinic on Monday and ask them to refer me to a Physiotherapist seeing as I can't put my foot down properly,I can't put my foot flat on the ground and am walking on the side of my foot instead. 

I will look up the article on fb. Debbie Thanks for the info and I hope you keep improving!

kind regards 

Victoria x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.