Somebody notice anything on Antibiotics + RA treatment ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dear everyone,

While on MTX in 2014/2015, I had to take antibiotics at some point (actually 3 times). Back then, I remember I experienced increased joint pain and stiffness during the treatment that would resume 1 week after stopping. Has anyone experienced something similar or have an explanation for this adverse reaction ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi.... Yes I've had this happen too. My doctor said the antibiotics intevere with methotrexate..

• Posted

Ok, how interesting ! I really experienced something spectacular back then, it was as if my whole body was going stiff but not only in the morning, the whole day through.
  • Posted

Antibiotics DO interfere with methotrexate - they reduce the amount the kidneys excrete and so the blood level usually increases. Which you'd think might make it work more. Normally you are told to stop taking mtx while taking abx - and obviously stopping mtx will potentially lead to a flare of symptoms.

• Posted

Thx for your reply EileenH,

Every time when I stopped MTX, the injection was recent and this stiffness came really fast, after a couple of days, like my whole body was going into a painful stiffness. And I have been wondering why was that and if it was only me.

When I stopped MTX altogether, I did'nt experience that same reaction. Actually, I had more something like a complete relief. It did'nt last very long of course, but it was something completely different.

• Posted

It's strange isn't it - do update if you ever find out what caused it!

• Posted

Have'nt found anybody to discuss this before and yes, I think it's quite strange.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.