Large Red Rash

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I have came here hoping for some advice, I hope I am posting in the right section. For a long time now (literally years) I have had what can only be described as a very visible large red rash inbetween my buttocks. I would not necessarily say there is an associated itch. The skin looks very irritated.

I try to keep the area as cleansed as possible and over the years based on internet research I have tried a various shop bought creams / powders which have never really helped, such as Zeasorb Absorbent powder, Raw coconut oil, Sudocrem, Hydrocortisone and Clotrimazole.

I even tried creams associated with nappy rash like Metanium and Desitin.

I have been to my GP on numerous occasions and they gave me away what feels like yet more endless creams and ointments again like Canesten (a combination of Clotrimazole & Hydrocortisone), Clotrimazole on its own, Daktacort, and Lotriderm.

I also had been given a soap substitute for use in the shower called Dermol 500 to avoid any regular soaps along with a moisturizing lotion called Zerobase

Again none of the above have ever really made much of an impact.

They eventually referred me to a Dermatologist and after seeing them having waited months they were really no help, They had a quick look, they didn't see any kind of infection and basically didn't think there was any real issue and it is just my skin. Needless to say I completely disagree it is far to red looking to be normal. The skin even has a sort of different feel to me.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this lengthy post (Sorry about that but I wanted to put as much detail in as possible) and has any suggestions.

Many Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had this problem for about 6 years 😯 i tryed so much untill my doctor fi ally gave me 1 last thing to try before requesting this injection... i was given 300g hydrocortisone creame 1% (hyd) in a white round rub not the one in the oil tube and also a pill called Allersoothe....

After every shower in the morning i would put a thin wipe of creame on and then do the same at night after a shower.. if you put to much on it would be uncomfretbull. I took 1 pill at around 7pm so i was tired around 9pm... i found after the 6 years with this it was staying asleep to not scratch that drove me crazy.. i would wake up at the same times every night to scratch.. the pill helped me stay asleep sin the end it worked after 2 weeks now i dont use it ... please try it because after 6 years of this pain iam cured all that way from me in new zealand smile

Staying asleep at night to not scratch was the issue. Stop that cycle!!!

• Posted

I appreciate you taking the time to respond, I have tried various hydrocortisone creame's but sadly none have really helped.

There is no itch really to speak off its more just a very red large rash...

• Posted

Hey there.  You could look at taking an allergy tablet like Telfast twice a day - I've found this really helpful, together with a cream called Advantan (methylprednisolone Aceponate) - used quite sparingly.  AND figuring out what the rash is from - for me it is an allergic reaction to a CAT living downstairs (hopefully the owner will soon be leaving!), which then makes me hypersensitive to other things, so Goat's cheese for me is now causing a reaction.  So I am dosing up on the allergy tablets and using cream sparingly.  I also wash gently with QT gentle/sensitive body wash - using only a little, and drying very thoroughly before dressing.  So it can really help to figure out just what you're reacting to.  When my son was a baby, he'd get something similar in reaction to strawberries, also tomatoes.  So pay attention to when it's worse and what you've been eating.  Try cutting out  any possible culprits for 2 weeks and then re-introduce one by one.  It can be a bit tedious figuring out what it is - but well worth it!

Good luck! 

• Posted

Thank you for the response. That is good advice.

I have researched the cream and unfortunately it seems really difficult to get here in the UK...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.