1 Day Post Hemrrhoidectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went in for my surgery yesterday at 11:30AM. My surgery got started around 1:30PM. I was done around 5PM. Last night was pretty calm. Took the meds, ate some jello, some pudding, and some toast with muscadine spread on top.

This morning I woke up in a bit of pain and having to pee really bad. When I got to the bathroom I could barely pee. As today has gone on my rectum has begun hurting more and more. I feel pressure like I need to have a BM but nothing is coming. My sister rubbed my back, ran warm water down the lower portion of my back, and even attempted some oil but the gauze is in there pretty tight. Right now I'm ending my night with a warm glass of water and this is how I plan to begin day 2 as well😞

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh dear this operation really is the pitts.

I'm now on day 16 and I've got to say the first few days is just torture, then there's a sudden jump of improvement. To be fair I have been fine down below with the pain except for having a b/m. The pain during & 'hours' afterwards has been horrendous.

I went to see my GP on day 13 & she prescribed diclofenac suppositories & I pop one in at night. This has really helped with the swelling/inflammation & my last b/m was much easier & no pain afterwards, just a slightly weird sensation.

You are in the early days, so keep up with the fibre, stool softener & make sure the area is kept clean & dry. I had a daily bath (or 2) with table salt & gently patted the area dry. I also used the shower to clean myself after a b/m as I couldn't wipe because of the pain.

Good luck - keep positive, it WILL get better x

• Posted

I'm really nervous about the pain. I just woke up feeling like ive got to go. For your first B/M post surgery did you have to sit there for a while?

• Posted

I walked around until I was 'ready'. I thought sitting there might put too much pressure on my wound! I have read that you should keep breathing, as holding on to your breath can make you tense! It is like giving birth to a baby... only on a daily basis!!

• Posted

Also take pain relief about an hour before if you can!! Some people have been fine, so try & keep relaxed!!!!

• Posted

Carls advice is all really good advice. definately take stool softners every day and I would advise to take Psyllium (the one by Konsyl does not have sweetners added - if you are the USA - similar to Metamucil) put a spoonful in a water bottle and shake it. It gets thick quickly so the easiest time to drink it is as soon as you mix it and use cold water. It's basically a natural laxative and I take it every evening for a BM every morning. You should follow it with some more ater if you can. Remember to breath - very important - my friends said they could hear I was holding my breath. If you can take a pain killer a little before you think you are going to go that may help - but also remember that pain killers can cause constipation

My best tip - and I'm 15 weeks post -op but had a lot of complications - I use a Sitz bath every day and for most days I actually use it to have a BM into. Yes, it's a bit messy and i stand up fairly quickly after to avoid bacteria but the warm water definately encourages a BM for me. 

• Posted

That's exactly what I was beginning to get into. I have so much pressure on my bottom right now

• Posted

I feel for you - that is the worst. And it's not going to be great having a BM but the relief you feel after outweighs the pain. I had to be admitted to hospital due to complications and the nurses told me to run water in the bathroom as that can help encourage a BM. I looked up every food that was easy to pass through the body and avoided all foods that can cause constipation.

Avoid Dairy, Meat, Pain killers, green bananas, chocolate. 

I was making smoothies every day (and still am) to get something down me. Try prune juice, or prunes, chia seeds (soak in water) , pears, apples, ripe bananas, figs, beetroot/red beet, tomatoes, ginger, aloe vera, pineapple, berries, broccoli, gluten free breads, raw veggies, citrus foods, leafy green veggies. 

• Posted

moving around definately helps get the body moving. I used to do laps in my living room and still now have to get up an hr before normal time to give myself time to get my body moving. 
  • Posted

I know this is really really personal (thankful we are anonymous), but has anyone else got a funny shape anus???? Honestly mine looks like a clover.

My GP tried to reassure me it wud heal ok, tho she didn't look at it - but I've had another look today & I can't see how it will heal as it should look.

I seriously don't think I will ever be able to be intimate again.... unless I have cosmetic surgery!!

I go back to the surgeon in a couple of weeks so will obviously ask then.... but would like to know one way or another if other people are the same!

Thanks

• Posted

lol let me know when you do!

I've felt quite alone through this ordeal, but I'm so thankful of this forum, it's been my after care & therapy!

• Posted

2 days post op!!! I've been in pain all day long... I've had so much pressure on my bottom. I've been in and out of the tub all day long and still no results.

• Posted

I truly feel for you. I went through the same. I had been admitted back into hospital due to extreme pain and I think it was day 3 or 4 (it's very hazy) that they gave me enema. Unless you really have to you don't want to have that done. Try everything before that. Have you spoken to your doc? Can you take any laxatives? Are you drinking water?  In the end I was given Valium/Diazepam and I had to take one every morning before a BM to relax myself enough.  

• Posted

The enema got everythign moving but it caused a lot of other issues. It was a chain effect. Were you ale to take any Psyllium/Metamucil?

• Posted

Thank goodness for warm water!! Finally my first B/M!!! I cried and cried but it finally came....
    • Posted

Great! you must feel very relieved. Keep up with everything and hopefully things will keep moving every day.
    • Posted

Relieved is exactly how I am feeling. That was such an intense experience. I can't imagine having to bare that kind of pain alone. So happy my family was here with me as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.