Help with NDT nature throid dose

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I have been taking 50mg of levothyroxine and blood results have been normal but I've felt awful and symptomatic for years. Im about to start NDT (nature throid to be exact)

My endo has told me to start on 1 grain but everywhere I have looked online it says this would be the equivalent to 100mg of levothyroxine rather than 50. But, it also says that 1 grain contains 38mg of T4 and about 9mg of t3 so it's left me really confused!

Is he about to overdose me and would it be a good idea to cut the 1 grain tablet in half and see if this dose is enough?

I dont know much about NDT or how it works in comparison with levothyroxine so any advice would be great.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You really need to put these questions to your endocrinologist.
    • Posted

I have and still waiting on a response - the guy is a nightmare to get hold of
  • Posted

Since you have hypo symptoms with normal levels I would go with the higher dose unless it makes you feel weird, palpitations for example. NDT has many fans but it didn't help me

• Posted

It takes time for the body to adjust to getting T3 and T4 (which is what Natural Desiccated Thyroid contains - as well as T1, T2, and Calcitonin), so you need to start on a low dose and increase it by a little every two weeks. It took me 3 months to reach the right dose. Now I have, it's working well. I've now been on NDT for 16 months, my T4 and T3 blood test results are in range and my hypothyroid symptoms had abated. I say 'had' because for many years now I have had to increase my dose of thyroid hormone (both thyroxine and NDT) in the winter months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.