Under 30 and using a walking stick.

Posted , 4 users are following.

About a month ago I took the plunge and bought myself a walking stick. Being just 21 (whoopie) I felt way too young to be buying such a stereotypically old-peoples thing, but alas I am now the proud owner of such an object. Being a proud person I must admit I was harder than you could ever think to actually go to a store and buy one. I had tried many times in my hometown but each time I couldn't even walk into the store out of shame and anxiety. So big chicken me chose to go to E-bay and buy one, black with pink flowers. I was proud of myself for taking that step but online shopping is very different. 

There was, however, one problem, it was taking quite awhile to get to me and I was really struggling so down I went to the shops and found a blue one, quickly grabbing all I wanted to do was hide. Grabbing a random piece of clothing I walked close to the self-serve cash register and ditched the clothes and quickly placed the folded up stick in the bag. Ugh the machine didn't want to work properly so a member of staff had to come and check the bag. Standing there, crumpling inside out of embarrassment I was shocked when she didn't bat an eyelid over the incident. She didn't even care. Finally arriving home after the ordeal, I sat in the care and opened the packaging, and stuffed it in my handbag, luckily it fits, YAY!

Man, it really makes a difference, not just with balance but also with the pain, I am really glad I bought it and still finding it funny that I have two. 

I haven't used it out and about yet but that is my next adventure.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey Hun

Wow you ate brave I've been debating now for months as I keep falling at work etc I'm 35 I have got adult social care coming round to look at fitting aids so thought they may give me some sort of walking aid ! But I must say I think I may go buy one today !

Well done you xx

• Posted

Oh Jazin, I'm sorry that you need to use a stick at the tender age of 21, but your post did make me laugh.  I was exactly the same and like you sent for it from eBay and I'm 68 lol. x

• Posted

Bless you.  I purchased one at about 35 and never used it until recently and I am now 41.  I originally purchased it as I had really stiff ankles every year about october time. Later was diagnosed with arthritis in the ankles and feet.  Now this year in Jan 16 I was diagnosed with firbromyalgia amongst other things.  Alas that stick has now come into its own.  When I am really bad I tend to use it.  I have gone out without it as I did today, big mistake as I am in alot of pain all over.  But when I do take it its a godsend.  I have a blue flower one which i keep by the front door and a green one kept in the car 'just in case'. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.