Sharp headaches and sore neck

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 44-year-old, non-smoking, non-drinking American male.  For about 6 weeks, I've had recurring sharp, moderate to severe headaches only on the right side between the eye and ear area, and sore/stiff neck.  But I did not experience a fall, accident, or any other traumatic event.  I went to the ER at what is reportedly the best hospital in my state.  They did a CT scan which came back clear.  The only thing they could diagnose is "migraine or tension headache without cause."  I went to a new family doctor 2 weeks later.  He said it could be either my blood pressure, weight, or anxiety.  But I've had weight and anxiety issues for several years now and never had this until 6 weeks ago.  I've had blood drawn and lab work done, which the doctor said came back perfect.  He put me on blood pressure medicine and then doubled it.  It didn't help the headaches, and the neck soreness actually worsened.  I've tried staying more hydrated, consuming less caffeine, eating better, practicing better posture, getting more sleep, different pillows, pain killers, essential oils and herbal treatments.  I am open to all your advice and recommendations.  Thank you. 

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Does blood test includes ESR.?because sometimes inflammation of temporal artery may be the cause. It is usually in older ages above 60 . But let us rulE it out
    • Posted

I don't know if the blood test included that or not.  I just remember the doctor covering about 25 different things that they were looking for, and saying they were all in the normal range.  But I did look up inflammation of temporal artery, and I don't have any of the other symptoms.

• Posted

I definitely recommend trying acupuncture, as means to reduce both pain and stress, I've found it useful, in the past. I hope you find a solution that works for you really quickly.

• Posted

Never tried that ever, but I guess I need to look into it.  
    • Posted

When a physiotherapist suggested acupuncture, I really didn't think it would work at all. At the time, I'd barely slept, for months, I was lucky if I could sleep for a whole hour at a time, a I had a badly trapped nerve root, in my neck, it hurt like hell. I had 6 or 7 needles (incredibly thin ones) in my back, and went home, where I slept for 7 hours straight.

• Posted

try acupuncture and/ or cupping therapy . 
  • Posted

I'm going to have an MRI Angiogram done.  But I am more scared than I've ever been in my life.  I'm worried that I have a tumor or aneurysm.  

• Posted

Hi again, I understand how frightening the unknown is, particularly when it's in regard to your health. I've been in your position. You must keep reminding yourself that, if, and it's still very much an if, there IS something serious going on, you really are better off knowing, you could investigate what options are open to you. I'm lucky that, so far I haven't had cancer, but I've had a brain aneurysm. My aneurysm was only found because I had a subarachnoid haemhorrage, I've been really lucky and had a good outcome. It would have been SO much safer to have had my aneurysm treated BEFORE it endangered my life. The same's true of cancer. With luck, it'll be something far less sinister, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, please let us know how you get along.

• Posted

hope you will find all free. no tumor , no aneurysm.
  • Posted

Well now I am worse off than ever before.  I was supposed to have the MRI on the brain done last night.  But my anxiety was so horribly bad that I couldn't go through with the procedure.  I tried but that the claustrophobia of that machine was just too much.  Now I don't know what to do.  

• Posted

As you want the MRI doing, it could very well be worth trying hypnotherapy, as a way to manage your claustrophobia. I've heard about it really helping others.

• Posted

Well I finally worked up the courage to have the MRI completed last night.  Now its just a waiting game for the results to get to the doctor.  They did say that, if it had been something "life threatening," that they would not have let me go home.  So, since I got to come home, I guess that's a good thing.  Still very scared, and still having lots of headaches.  

• Posted

I don't know if anyone even reads my posts (other than HanO and wendy80842, who I appreciate very much).  But I thought I would give an update nonetheless.  The MRI/MRA results came back on my brain and the doctor says he sees no evidence of any aneurysm or mass.  But yet the headaches keep getting worse.

So in summary, over the past two months, I've seen two doctors who can't find what's wrong, had a CT scan that came back clear, had blood work done that was "perfect," and now an MRI and MRA that show nothing.  I feel I have no quality of life left.  My job is suffering, and my wife is very frustrated with me for complaining about my head so much.  I don't know what to do anymore.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.