balance

Posted , 12 users are following.

is anybody having trouble with balance or walking.  I sometimes feel so off balance.  Will yhis get better?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

I did for a time Karen, but don't seem to have it anymore, can't remember when it stopped along with blurred vision, I'm down to 6mg now come down from 80mg, do have thigh pain, but it will get better take care

• Posted

A lot of people complain about balance problems - as well as clumsiness!  It does seem to improve with time, I used to fall over my own feet - it went away but I had a flare in the spring and when I think about it, my legs don't feel as if they are doing what i want them to! It's not bad, but it is there.

• Posted

glad to hear it is normal.  and hopefully will get better... I do feel clumsy.
    • Posted

Several of us have spoken in the past about how many plates and glasses we dropped! You aren't alone! That it is "normal" is another question...

• Posted

I did Karen. It became so bad that I had to use a cane. It even affected my driving.. Now down to 5mgms prednisilone and life is so much better

balance improved , no longer need my cane I can see light ahead.

Have had PMR for 34months

Very best wishes

Caroline

• Posted

Karen... I just read your balance question after returning from an evening walk .....and commenting to husband  that when I turn my head left or right to look at something while walking my sense of balance is disrupted - I don't know if this happens in daylight - I will check it out - but there is a bit of a tendency to 'stagger' - and that is without alcohol.....

• Posted

My daughter has christened me Jack Sparrow cos of my tendency to stagger about the place, she questions whether I've been tippling on vodka throughout the day! We have a laugh about it but it can be embarrassing when people don't know your situation. Looking forward to it improving and hope it does for you too soon!

• Posted

NO IT DOES NOT GET BETTER.  I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS. CANT WALK WITHOUT FEELING DIZZY. GO TO THE GROCERY STORE  FOR A FEW ITEMS AND HAVE TO GET A CART IT HELPS MY BALANCE AND DIZZYNESS WHILE WALKING THRU THE STORE. IM 74 NOW AAND AM GETING USED TO IT NOW. I HAD VERTIGO 10 YRS AGO

​AND THATS WHEN IT HAPPENED. I HAVE A INNER PROBLEM DUE TO MY VERTIGO ATTACK AND NO WAY WILL IT GET BETTER.. I HAVE SPENT ALOT

OF TIME AND MONEY BUT NO HELP IN SITE FOR ME

WALTER98524

• Posted

Do you have PMR?  Has it made the balance problem worse?
    • Posted

Don't confuse the two things - if you had vertigo prior to developing PMR (and that is what is seems from your posts, saying you have been on pred for 6 months but the vertigo was 10 years ago) then it may not be due to the same thing.

If it is associated with the PMR, then yes, in the vast majority of cases it WILL get better. But as Nefret says - has the PMR made the dizziness worse? Or conversely, has pred helped at all?

• Posted

Please everybody - if you have balance problems of any sort that go with your PMR or GCA could you go to this survey and complete it:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/research-project--535782

Our balance is very dependant on our ears so it is not only hearing problems that are important but also any dizziness or simple balance issues - such as finding walking a straight line difficult! Please comment appropriately on the survey form.

• Posted

Hi Karen,

i noticed, around the time I was diagnosed, and whenever I have a flare up, which I fear I am having now, I lose my stability. 

I t tends to disappear, as I get over the flare.

i recently had a surgical procedure on veins in my legs, that weren't working efficiently, and asked the doc to give me a burst of prednisone, presurgery.but he said it was unnecessary and I am now extremely lethargic, and unstable, when I walk. I am not in much pain, and am waiting to see my doc, to test inflammatory markers, just out of curiousity, as I dread moving up from 1 1/2 mg, which I've been very comfortable with, and was actually ready to reduce, again, soon.

wishing you well and hoping your balance improves, soon.

barb

• Posted

Hi Karen

Lately, even though i am down to 4mg of pred i feel dizzy when i look up or turn my head .I didnt have any of this on higher doses .Hope it goes away .Good luck 

• Posted

I had something similar, I perceived it as lightheadedness not dizziness, starting at about 4 mg and lasting right through a couple of months at 3 mg.  I'm still at 3 mg but it's gone.  My gp suggested I drink more water but as I was practically awash all summer I wondered if perhaps I wasn't absorbing the water so now I sprinkle a little more salt on my morning eggs and that sensation has virtually vanished.  Unfortunately the skipped heartbeats haven't diminished, which I'd associated with the lightheadedness, so I guess I'll be bringing up the subject again in a few weeks. rolleyes

• Posted

No.  But I have more of a salt tooth than a sweet tooth when it comes to snacks or treats.  Fortunately bp has always been low normal. 
    • Posted

Me too - no, just wondered if it had been anything to do with adrenal function lagging. Salt craving is the body's response very often and taking enough salt sorts the problem.

• Posted

Didn't know that.  We don't even own a salt shaker so it's entirely possible my salt intake was too low this summer.  I'll carry on with the few extra crystals every morning, just in case....  I'm definitely suffering increased fatigue these days which is beginning to worry me.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.