Slippery elm supplement for hernia and GERD

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I have been suffering greatly with my hernia and very recently what they call GERD, at least I assume that's what it is, and normally everything is kept completely under control with my daily lanzoprazole tablet, but as I say, lately this has not been the case and the GERD symptoms particularly were frankly awful, it would wake me in the night and I had great difficulty getting back to sleep.

Then I googled, and found that a remedy that many find helpful is a supplement of "slippery elm", and I felt that taking extra lanzoprazole too frequently wasn't medically advisable, and ranitidine were not doing anything for it, and when it comes to surgery, I have already had completely failed surgery over my prolapsed bowel and did not want to be put through anything like that, raising my hopes only to be let down, ever again, so I thought I'd try them.

They came in the post from Amazon earlier this afternoon and by now I have taken two lots of two tablets, and things feel calmer and I feel all round good, the jury is out as yet on what the effects will be tonight and whether I will be able to sleep right through without being woken by the dreaded GERD, but seems positive so far and I will keep you posted.

Has anyone tried this yet as my sister says a friend where she used to work used to swear by the old slippery elm, any thoughts?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

From the www DownWithAcid org uk book:

"The active ingredient of Slippery elm is a polysaccharide called mucilage that makes a slippery gel when wet. 

As with Aloe Vera, Slippery Elm is a soothing balm and may help digestive motility by stimulating the secretion of mucous in the digestive tract. 

It is not recommended in people who have kidney or liver problems the plants contain chemicals called oxalates which can damage the liver and kidneys."

As a demulcent it may soothe but it doesn't heal.

There is nothing medically inadvisable about taking lansoprazole (some, with Barrett's, have to take it for life - it has been shown to reduce risk of progression to cancer! ) but as with all PPIs it has to be taken correctly if required. That means every day at the same time each day pre-emptively (best time is half an hour before breakfast) at the lowest effective dose for the shortest requisite period. If you need to take it for more than two or three weeks or higher than 30mg a day, you must be monitored by a doctor.

But although acid suppressants are good at supprerssing acid production, they do not control reflux - just make the composition of the refluxate less dangerous.

Look at the Down With Acid book and determine whether your symptoms are mainly acid hyper-excretion or reflux and look at the management appropraite to your condition.

• Posted

My symptoms are because of my hernia which I believe I stated. I think there is a great danger of indue hysteria over medicines in general, if they help me feel better, I'll take them.

• Posted

Incidentally, you mention aloe vera, this was recommended me for my prolapsed bowel but sadly it just gave me diarrhoea
    • Posted

Are you saying sleepy elm doesn't work. I took two and they made my stomach to hurt.

• Posted

Hi I promised I'd update everyone on how the slippery elm supplement is working.  I note a couple of comments have been removed so I hope it wasn't due to anything controversial that I had said previously that sparked an unfavourable response from anyone, this wasn't my intention.  

However, I have been taking the slippery elm for about two or three weeks and it is great, I continue to take my prescibed lanzoprazole in the morning and then late afternoon up to late at night before sleep I take two slippery elm and it takes away any residue of unpleasant feelings with my hiatus hernia, and calms things a treat.  I get Lifeplan Botanicals Slippery Elm from Amazon , 50 capsules 230mg additive free as ordering from amazon I find there are never any issues with their website which I have found with Boots and other online chemists, so its simple and I believe, you will have to look this one up, but with shipping its not much over a tenner a bottle, so anyway, if you think it could help you to take on top of your current prescription as a largely herbal remedy, please feel free, it has been an enormous help to me, that's all I can say.

• Posted

What kind sleepy elm do you take? Is it tablets or powder? How many do you take?
  • Posted

Did you take the capsules? I have capsules also but I broke them into and put in water and drank it which was a bad idea since I receive it more quicker. My stomach started hurting afterwards. Do you have any problems taking them or is it just me.
  • Posted

I take slippery elm powder now and again and I have found it to work most of the time. I also use marshmallow root powder. Can mix together. I mix tsp of slip elm in small amount of hot water then top with bit of cold and let sit for 10 mins so it thickens. Then drink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.