scared i will have a panick attack on the plane

Posted , 3 users are following.

so people ive been on 50mg of sertraline for almost a year now, due to severe depression and panick disorder.

it took six months to feel back to normal, to scared to even attempt to come off it.

im going on holiday on wed 4 hour flight to greece, im clausterphobic, ive always lived flying but now im scared and now im worried what if i panick on the plane and my 12 year old will be with me. i dont want to embarass her or my self.

has anyone else who suffers with panick been afraid to fly been abke to combat this ??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You can do this! I have anxiety and panic disorder and hasn't flown for 13 years! But I flew in June, my children hadn't flown before either so I was worried about them too! If anything you will keep it together for your daughter/son. I was fine, the thought of doing it is worse than the actual thing. Remember to keep yourself busy, make sure you have some distractions iPod/iPad/book and a bottle of water. Maybe you could download some relaxation techniques/meditation for you to listen to in the airport/on the plane. In the end i was fine and had a fantastic holiday!!! Like I said you CAN do this! Maybe your doctor can give you something to take the edge off I know plenty of people that take a diazepam before they fly. Keep strong and once you face this challenge head on and succeed you'll be so proud. Take care.

• Posted

Hi. Firstly could I ask how you found going on to sertraline? Iv been on citalopram 20mg for 4 years but my anxiety has come back so severely and I can't shake it off like I used to, think they may have stopped being effective. My doc has prescribed sertraline but scared of taking it as I worry about side effects!

When u fly why not try to take something with you to keep your mind occupied? Portable DVD player or a book? my son is 14 and knows all about my anxiety and panic and has done since he was 10. You could take a beta blocker to take for your flight to help keep you calm or a diazepam (just 2mg) if you are really worried. Hope you have a lovely holiday x

• Posted

Thank you both so much, i think just hearing others say they have done it really helps.

i will try and download some relaxation apps, do u know of any good ones??

and in answer to ur question i was a little low last seot 2015, dr gave me 20mg citalipram well .....to cut a long storey short , the citalopram caused me to become very unwell indeed, i only took one tablet and reacted very bad, it caused ptsd i was loosing the plot, led to severe depression and panick 24/7.

so i had to take sertraline, ill be honest it makes you so much worse for first 10 days, but after 4 weeks i started getting well again. go for it try it and be strong and stick with it.

xx

• Posted

Hello my lovely how did you get on? Did you cope ok? Good holiday? Xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.