Coming off venlafaxine after a short period of time

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've noticed a lack of stories for people that have only been on venlafaxine for a short period of time, but that are going through withdrawal. So Hi, here's a discussion forum!

My story.. I was on fluoxetine for a couple years a few years after my Dad died, as my family were concerned that I hadn't cried and was suffering from ptsd. I was a teenager and to say I took the medication consistently would be a stretch.. I don't fully remember that period of my life but I do remember taking them as and when I remembered, normally with alcohol, and as such never had any benefits. 

Fast forward 6 years to Dec this year. I went through an experience that Ivan only describe as worse than past experiences of losing my father, being abused, being attacked, and being isolated put together. I chose to go back on Prozac as I couldn't cope. It helped slightly, but not noticeably, and 6 months down the line I had but on 2 stone and felt/feel awful. So my doctor recommended venlafaxine. 

IT WAS AMAZING! For the first time in what felt like forever, I felt like me again. No side effects or headaches like I had found on the Prozac. Only if I missed a dose, or had alcohol. Then... I checked the scales. A steady 2lbs per week despite a healthy diet and exercise. I couldn't carry on like that, so after 5 weeks, I asked to come off and decided I'd manage my depression and situation differently now that I felt stronger.

COMING OFF IS NOT FUN.

When I came off Prozac, I had headaches, felt jittery, emotional and had awful RLS for 3 days, but that was the worst of it. Not so with venlafaxine. I'd warn you, don't go on this for just short term use. It's not worth these withdrawal symptoms. I am now on day 3 and can kinda see the light, possibly.

I followed my doctors instructions and took two weeks of 37.5mg, all fine. I took my last pill, next day all fine.

Day 2, I thought I was going to die. I have severe endometriosis, and can deal with chronic daily pain and exhaustion, but this was like being seasick x a million, dizzy, nausea, I couldnt get off the sofa. A headache of all headaches, felt so sick but at the same time ravenous and a funny crackling going on in my brain every so often.

Day 3 has been much the same, but with a slight improvement. I've been reading stories of people online, and they say it goes on for weeks, maybe even a year... Im praying that's not the case for taking it for such a short period of time.

I have been trying to flush the pill out my body and drinking ginger tea, water and having Epsom salt baths.

Is there anyone else out there going through the same? Do you have any suggestions?!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Daisy

there most definitely is light at the end of the tunnel, a couple of weeks off Venlafaxine, yes most of that time lying on the sofa, feeling like dying would be good, I am now day by day improving, I was able to sit at the kitchen table this morning and have breakfast with him, each day I am improving.  My son face timed me this evening and his first words to me were mum, you look so much better today.  I am changing my whole lifestyle, I am never going down that dark hole again.  I haven't had a drop of alcohol in nearly two weeks either, just drink lots of water, charcoal tablets are also helpful, they are a natural supplement that soaks up chemicals in your body, I Believe they have helped me.  I wish you well.  

• Posted

Daiseylime,

I completely feel your pain! I was on ven for only two months and got off a bit more rapidly. I went down to 75mg from 150mg, for only a week. Then after forgetting to pickup my 37.5mg prescription I thought I'd just go cold turkey. Day 1 with no ven was Friday. I felt AMAZING! Tons of energy, improved mood and motivation. Until 4:30pm hit... and so did the nausea. I vomited for 2 hours straight, including in a garbage can on my way to an NHL game. After that I felt great, enjoyed the game and even indugled in a glass of wine. But Saturday the vertigo, disorientation, diarrhea, low mood / depressed thoughts and more nausea kicked in. I spent most of the day and night on the couch, in and out of sleep. I slept for 12 hours last night, horribly vivid dreams and more disorientation, vertigo and nausea. I was able to shower and get ready. But I did have a slight relief for a few hours and improved mood. So I'm trying to stay positive. I've been doing this with the aid of a great herbalist. I'm taking peppermint essential oil drops for nausea, magnesium, vitamin D, HTP suppliments and a probiotic. Serotonin stems from the gut and bowels, make sure you're keeping a clean/healthy diet. I hope any of this helps... and keep me posted, it would be nice to know a length on is as I'm looking to start a new job in the coming weeks, yikes!

• Posted

Hi  on this drug for years.  Agreed all the withdrawal systems you list.   Came off probably too quickly as other medical problems caused by this drug.  Second week in and each day an improvement really the most annoying symptom moving too quickly, move eyes too quickly this causes giddiness.  I am still suffering sweats  more annoying than anything else.   Drink no wine, alcohol, I am taking charcoal tablets, peppermint tea.  I also found Ibuprofen 400 mg, taken 3 times a day helped, taken with light meal. I am interested to hear if any one else has adrenal gland problems, high cholesterol due to Venlafaxine.  I am also on 100 mg of thyroxine, 40 mg of Atorvastine 1 aspirin daily. Coming off Venlafaxine does this mean my cholesterol could improve, my adrenal results improve? All in I am pleased with this progress, wish I had done it years ago.  I am waiting to have further blood tests this week, fingers crossed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.