melatonin as an aid to sleep

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'd welcome feedback from anyone taking melatonin as an aid to sleep. What daily dose do you take,does it take a few days/weeks to become effective, do you take it continually or have a break, does it help, any side effects? I prefer the idea of taking a naturally occuring hormone like melatonin than taking zopiclone, which has a reputation for shortening your life with continuous use 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have been having trouble sleeping for sometime now and tried this last night 6 mg and it worked great. I don't know yet about long term but we shall see. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Sherry. I came across melatonin recently on a website and was attracted by the idea of an aid to sleep that the body produces naturally rather than take a drug like zopiclone. Unfortunately I'm one of those older people whose body no londer produces enough of it. My GP said 2mg is the recommended dose so I'd be interested to hear whether you get a good result with a lower dose 

• Posted

HI, I haven't taken Melatonin, however I have Zopiclone which played havoc with my bowels. Given the option I'd take anything over Zopiclone!

• Posted

Yes me too. I've heard enough about zopiclone to want to find something else. As melatonin occurs naturally in the body (but less in older people)  then I'm going to give it a try.  GPs can't prescibe it so that means finding a source online 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.