I need encouragement Escitalopram 5mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys I have bad anxiety and am a very bad worry body. I worry about everything health related and after reading about the side effects of Escitalopram I'm debating even taking them. Due to my worrying and anxiety I have occasional heart palpitations which have become very uncommon since i quit smoking and lowered my caffeine intake. I know it's only 5mg but I'm just worried that if I take them I'll have some bad reaction to the meds that will lead to some heart issues or something. Has anyone gone into taking these meds with history of heart palpitations? Should I be worried? Bare with me here I just need a little encouragement.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kenneth,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having worries about taking Escitalopram. It's important to remember that everyone is unique and what might bother one person doesn't bother another.

Is it possible to get an appointment with the doctor who diagnosed the palpitations? Would that be an cardiologist? Or do you have a trusted general practioner who you could talk  to and who can order tests?  Do you think a clean bill of health with your heart issues could me you feel relaxed about the meds?

I have an anxiety disorder too and it often blows things (worries) out of proportion. I find that knowing that things are normal gives me peace of mind - then comes all the work of not worrying.  Have you tried CBT? It is a way of changing the way one thinks, and is very helpful.  If you aren't familiar with CBT you should be able to find it on this site (cognitive behavioural therapy)  On it's own, studies have shown that it can be as effective as antidepressants.  Personally, I can claim that but it certainly makes a big difference.

I wish you well and hope that you can get some professional help to ease your mind.

Escitalopram

• Posted

Hi Kenneth, your story sounds similar to mine. I have had skipped heart beats and they make me panic so I too worry about taking any drugs that could affect your heart. I had a bad reaction to fluoxetine ( nothing heart related) and recently started escitalopram. I am now on about day 16 of 10 mg and I have had no side effects to speak of. My skipped heart beats don't feel as strong now and don't send me into a panic. I know it hasn't started working yet as it's early days but so far it's a miracle drug for me! The effects on your heart are very rare and dose related so 5mg will have no effect. Good luck !

• Posted

Glad you are handling to lexapro!I may start taking it soon see my doc in another week!Dod the genetic test to see how I metabolize the meds to see what I may take that won't be as tough and start on baby dose!Hope I have as much luck as you have Louise!

• Posted

Ive never heard of a genetic test, what can it tell you? Are you in. The usa?
    • Posted

The doc mentioned this to me to help really determine what's going on upstairs but he said it's pricy and he already had the answers he needed to diagnose me.

• Posted

Thanks for the help guys I went ahead and started to meds and only had slight stomach pain for a few minutes then all was fine. Hope this medicine works like I've seen people say it does.

• Posted

Well done, the first step is always the hardest. The only thing I noticed was feeling tired which was actually nice after feeling anxious all the time. Try taking it with food for the stomach. Good luck!
    • Posted

I'm doing good. Only on week 5 of 10mg but I am back at work now. I would say I'm 60%....

• Posted

I had sent a private message to you if you are able to talk with me.Thanks Louise
    • Posted

Is the Lexapro still good for you Louise?I tried to re send you a private message!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.