Wife took me to the ER last Wednesday.

Posted , 7 users are following.

So wife caught me hiding vodka around the house and sneaking extra shots while we were drinking and she ended up taking me to the ER the Wednesday before last. I was prescribed librium and took the last pill on last Sunday. It has now been a week and a half since my last drink. Just wanted to keep in touch. I know what I have to do and I'm seeing if the doctors that adefree sent me will take my insurance for tsm. I just wanted to ask everyone have you had any crazy thoughts or almost like hallucinations before detoxing. It really scared me. I thought of things I would never had if I was not clouded.

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry not ER last Wednesday bUT week before
  • Posted

Hi,

Yes, you are not alone! From my own experience I had very disturbing thoughts during and after a librium detox (4 detoxes in total) with the librium they weren't too bad but the few weeks following they seemed to worsen. I became very depressed, anxious and scared of mostly everything (especially leaving the house alone) sometimes suicidal thoughts and extremely vivid dreams/nightmares about alcohol.... to the point I would get up in the mornings and check out all of my usual hiding places for alcohol in the house as I was convinced I had been drinking the previous day and had actually stashed some in the house! My mind really was all over the place and my memory was awfull.

8 months on and mental health is greatly improved, off antidepressents for the first time in 10 years!

Lastly well done for staying sober throughout detox and since sunday, it really is tough work. Its a huge achievement that people just cannot understand if they have never been through it.

Goodluck 👍👌

• Posted

Thanks so much. So much of what you said is exactly what I went through. I've never been through it like this before. And yes I was looking over and over to see where I might have alcohol and couldn't remember if I had drank it or if she had found it. Good for you for overcoming. That is strong to go through that and come out on top. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Posted

Your very welcome, I just remember how reassuring it felt to hear other peoples experiences were similar to mine as I really felt I was going insane and that it would be a permanent problem. But don't fear, the brain needs time to rebalance and stablize all the chemicals after all the abuse it has had.

If I can help with any other issues then feel free to message me.

• Posted

Hi,

I'm an A & E (ER) nurse and I see very many patients come in who need help with alcohol issues. We always give librium (chlordiazepoxide) in my hospital and we refer patients on to support services. Or stitch the wounds they got whilst drunk.....

Anyway, I am really glad that you are going ahead with TSM. So many patients pass through my hands, as it were, and I never find out what happened to them.

We do recommend TSM but of course a lot of people with alcoholism or Alcohol Use Disorder are unfortunately going to go back home and find the bottle of vodka their wife DIDN'T find............

As for hallucinations - yes, just about everyone detoxing gets them. They can be very alarming but they do wear off as the librium kicks in.

I wish you well in your fight with alcohol.

• Posted

I have detoxed before but this was the first time experiencing it like this. Thank you for the reassurance. Can you believe on the way home from the ER while filling my prescription for librium I think I bought a pint of vodka. Luckily my wife found it before I could drink some and while on the librium. I'm a lucky man she is still with me. That's why I know I need tsm or something like it. I just can't do it on my own. Thank you for your words. I couldn't imagine having to deal with this at my job. Luckily I've never hurt myself and I'm pretty clear by the time I get to the ER. Just usually embarrassed and afraid my wife will just drop me off and go home. But she is still standing by me and supports me that I want to take medication.

• Posted

Then you're a lucky guy, because in A & E most of the peopole with AUD are on their oen, have been picked up by the police or ambulance service, and just  get up and go as soon as they come round a bit.

It's very disheartening to see the same people coming in and out, wekk after week.

So yes, you're lucky.

If you want to keep your wife, don't buy bottles of vodka on the way home from A & E lol.

Good luck.

• Posted

you certainly have lots of good experience from your work to share here. Really good of you to help Chrissie. Regards Robin
    • Posted

Thanks, Robin. I feel so sad for the patients who just wander out, still slightly drunk, heading to the nearest off licence.....
    • Posted

I thought I had already sent this but word lol. Definitely won't do that again. Don't want to lose my wife. She's going to stay with me and help me stay abstinent until I can see a doctor and get a prescription. I just moved to Washington 3 months ago and have not seen a GP. Any advice from anyone on should I see a GP first or try to see one of the doctors that adefree sent me that help with the Sinclair method?

• Posted

Are you in the States? I really don't know how the system works there.

Even here it's a real battle getting GPs to prescribe the required drugs. Maybe someone with experience of the US can answer this.

In the meantime, if you need librium, doctSorry I couldn't be more helpful. You could always PM Adefree.

Good luck

Chrissie.

• Posted

Well, that message got well and truly messed up. sorry.

I meant that if you need librium, a PCP (GP) would prescribe it, although in the US they seem to go for Xanac, Klonopin and Valium.

I would honestly PM Adefree.

Chrissie.

• Posted

Thanks for the suggestion. I've detoxed off with librium and am now looking at doctors that adefree sent me to try and get an appointment

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.