cannot get through to claim pip after receiving a letter from DLA

Posted , 10 users are following.

can anyone help?  I have a son who is 29 and receives middle rate care and low rate mobility.  We received a letter stating that we have to contact PIP to claim.  I have tried 15 times to ring them to claim sometimes spending upwards of 45minutes waiting for the music to stop and someone to answer.  I have tried at different times of the day and on different days of the week to no avail.  I worte to them asking for a claim form and to let them know that I had tried on numerous occasions to contact them. what did they do send another letter out stating that if we had not contacted them by the 24 of this month his DLA would stop.  catch 22 comes to mind and speaking of minds I am going out of mine trying to sort this out. anyone know of where I can complain to?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Christa

This is unacceptable behavior by the DWP.

However, when it comes to taking on the DWP you need some big guns behind you. Contact your MP take with you copies of all letters both sent and received. Also take a diary of the times you have tried to contact them. Unfortunately you WILL be expected to continue to attempt to contact the DWP if you just give up it will count against you.

If the date comes and goes without contact then your MP has grounds to demand an explanation.

• Posted

Hi Anthony, whilst I agree with you, it should not be the case that you have to go that far in trying to get the DWP to pick up the phone. I also agree that had I decided to go that route early on I would not be in the situation I am in.

?So whilst it does sound and appear as being overkill, if that is the only way that you can get the DWP to answer a phone then so beit.

?Absolutely ridiculous that the DWP could at the end of the day rule that you had never even attempted to contact them simply because they didn't pick up the phone.

• Posted

many thanks Anthony, I work fulltime and my son lives independently with a lot of help from me so trying to organise a time when I can get off work to go to his place to ring them is a nightmare will try again this week if not I will contact my MP. 
  • Posted

Had a similar problem myself which unfortunately ended in disaster!

?I wrote them a letter asking for the form PIP1 to start the claim off the same day as I received the notication to contact them - no reply. A second letter went off 14 days later - no reply.

36 days after I received the notification letter I telephoned them to ask where the damn form was given that I had asked twice by way of letter.

?I was told that they had no trace of either letter so they correctly assumed that I wasn't interested in moving over to PIP from DLA. Then they pointed out that as I was now 6 days too late to make the claim (you only have 30 days) they were terminating my DLA award forthwith and that as I am over 65 I will be barred from making another PIP claim.

?My mistake - I didn't send either of those two letters by recorded delivery hence I couldn't prove that they were actually posted or even written. 

?So I have gone from High Mobilty/Middle Care of DLA to nothing (had that award since 1995 with many re-assessments in between) and cannot ever make another claim due to my age (68). 

?Be warned - whatever happens the DWP will never accept responsibilty for anything unless you can stick proof under their noses.

• Posted

Hi Les thank you there should be an email address that we can contact them with, what happens if someone is hearing or sight impaired or with mental health problems it dispares me that as his mum we have to go through all this time and time again, it is sole destroying putting everything he can't do for himself down onto a form

• Posted

Don't forget that you can access itemised telephone bills too. This will show date, time and duration of the calls you made. It's all evidence to show you tried to contact them.

• Posted

Hi Dawn yes I have those, I know there had to be changes and the finacial help goes those who deserve it but this is a farce putting people through the trauma of applying when they have already been through this with the DLA
    • Posted

I agree  entirely but in the meantime the DLA award will be stopped resulting in finacial distress as will the offer to transfer to PIP. It can take weeks if not months to persuade the DWP to re-open the case and even then it is quite possible that the lost DLA money will never be refunded as there is no regulation that covers this scenario - in other words Parliament discounted the idea as it would never happen.
  • Posted

Hi is this the number your calling?

There is an 03 number but I struggled with that and found I got through early mornings with 0800 number.

Usually when your contacted to say your being transferred over from DWP to PIP they should send the forms out, but obviously they have not in your case.

Does your son not have a carer, if he does then they can ring on his behalf.

• Posted

Sorry yet again they have stopped my message because I put the number on for DWP grrrr
  • Posted

I know you say you've tried various times but I would suggest 8am.  I had the same problem as you recently when I had to contact them for a different reason and during the day it was 40 minutes or more.  At 8am on a couple of occasions it was about 10 minutes.

Another option is to download the sample PIP1 form and fill that in.  I know it says "Specimen only  - not for use" but it might be worth completing it and sending a covering letter.  Explain that you haven't been able to get through on the phone, that you have used the sample form in order to hopefully provide them with all the information that they need, and that if this isn't acceptable ask that they please call you so that  you can provide exactly the same information verbally!  If you do this make sure you send it recorded delivery.  There's no guarantee that they will accept this but if you are unable to get through on the phone before the deadline and they stop your son's DLA as a result I would hope that them having all the information in writing that they would need to start the claim will help if you have to go for a MR to get it restarted.  It's evidence you did all you could.

They are reluctant to send the form out.  I wrote for one initially and my request was ignored.  I then went to the job centre and they made the call for me as I have difficulty using the telephone.  They don't have any quick line through to them and we had to sit for 40 ish minutes and then had trouble convincing them that the form exists and can be requested - I pointed them to the website as evidence.  I did eventually get the form but I've heard of other people being refused.

• Posted

The DWP ignored two letters that I sent them asking for the PIP1 - they denied ever receiving either.

​I never received the form and because it went past the 30 day deadline they shut down my DLA award  and refused any further chance of claiming PIP.

• Posted

Try again, if you got through to someone what happened, also send a copy of letter by recorded or registered post
  • Posted

Go into jobcentre plus .or call them at 8 am they are very busy its a freephone number so its a case of staying on the phone
    • Posted

There is a complaints number for dwp and pip i complained and git my pip forms 2 days later

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.