Citalopram and aggoraphobia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on Cit for 8-8 weeks now, whilst some of my symptoms have gone, I am finding myself aggoraphobic. I will go out if I have to (appointments etc) but the rest of the time i wont step a toe out of the door. Does anyone know if the Cit should eventually help with this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I started taking cit for this very reason. Anxiety got so bad there is only one place I will drive to and a short walk I will make on my own. Had to stop the cit but seeing a counsellor from mind and going to a drop in once a week. The councillor is meeting me in a different place each week which I hope will help. Eventually I want to spread my wings back to the way I was before. Good luck xx
  • Posted

Hi Margaret, I've been taking Citalopram for 7 weeks now 4 week on 20mg and a further 3 weeks on 40mg and I'm just starting to feel the benefit you ma

• Posted

Hi Margaret 

Have you had agoraphobia before ? I have suffered with it on and off for years but found Citalopram helps me a lot with this I dont know what dose of Citalopram you are taking but I take 20mg a day and have done for several years now

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

No, I haven't had it before and I am also on 20mg, I feel that I may need a stronger dose, but I am on the maximum for my age (64). They have recently reduced all the maximum doses.

As I have only been taking it for about 8 weeks there is hope then.

Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Hi Margaret    

I am also 64 and have always had the 20mg it probably took me about 4-6wks before I felt a lot better but it was a great relief  to be in control again !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.