What do they mean by "Next phase of life"

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all. Ive often heard Menopause as the next Stage in Life and im slightly offended. Im only 44 and alot of ladies are younger than me who may be facing medical menopause. Everytime i hear "the next phase" i start thinking our hair will turm gray and we will suddenely age overnight. I really wish some of these article writers online would stop referring to this! Its very upsetting!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I can understand that.  I think that they're trying to put a positive spin on it, by using what they consider to be a non-threatening term.  Implying that it's usually "not that bad."  Well, for some women it isn't.  For other's it's "welcome to hell."  

It's a scary time, isn't it?  Being patronized doesn't help. xx

• Posted

I never saw it as a negative. For me, this next stage means saying good bye to constant pain and bleeding. Careers are established, children are becoming independent, there are more opportunities to travel and enjoy life.
    • Posted

Hi Trinjen,

Neither did I.  I went into menopause at 40 due to improper diagnosis of a thyroid condition by a gp.  By the time I got diagnosed, over 2 years had passed, and my ovaries were essentially dead.  I went on HRT for a while, but I didn't want to have a period any longer and I had had my tubes tied, so no worries about pregnancy.

I had my children very young, so by the time I was 45, they were both out on their own.  While I missed them, I was glad that they were trying their wings.

From being on this site, I know that some women are ill prepared for menopause.  The physical changes wreck havoc in their lives.  The medical care they have access to is sometimes performed by people  who are indifferent and perhaps incompetent.  The men they're involved with have no idea what's going on, and no desire to find out, or to help. It's a terrible time for them.  If it weren't for this site, they might have no one to support them or provide information that they need. 

• Posted

Yes, this site has been a great support. The emotional side of menopause wrecked havoc with me. I don't mean to diminish anyone's journey. However, when I was bawling me eyes out everyday, I found it encouraging when someone pointed out the silver lining. Gray hair, hot flashes and wrinkles aside, getting older has many advantages.

• Posted

You are so right!  I, too, welcomed getting older.  I can't believe all the stuff I thought was important at 40!  It's all fallen away. Each year, more falls away, and it's been falling away for 27 years for me.  

I've been through lots, lately, but each time that little voice inside me says, "How important is this?" I listen.  I retired last year and just got rid of the last of my "professional wardrobe." I know now why people go shopping in slippers and sweats.  I used to think that they'd lost all their "standards."  Now, I think to myself, "They look so comfortable!" smile

• Posted

There is something very liberating about choosing comfort over fashion And not worrying about the opinions of strangers. I love getting older. Plus, I really enjoy the relationships that have blossomed with my adult children.
    • Posted

There's been so much "richness" to life for me, too!  Have a good Sunday, and bless you! xx

• Posted

Lol it makes you wonder what the 'final stage' will be, as if we didn't know.  I also hate it when you have a hysterectomy and no longer have a vagina but a 'cuff' or a 'pocket'.  Don't get me started !

• Posted

I don't agree with it not being referred to as you reckon above. We have passed through massive numbers of stages of our lives since we were born. There is NO avoiding the aging process. You just flow with it. If you try & pretend it ain't going to happen then it is tougher when it does. What amazes me is the girls that have very little idea about the sudden arrival of menopause following hysterectomy. They are I'll prepared too often. Also how many are opting into HRT with its known that it raises your chance of cancer significantly to be of greater concern than that fact never really being discussed.

• Posted

Hey girl, I couldn't agree more!! I faced this problem this year and had to get pellet testosterone implants because of all my hormone levels bottoming out.. but I get so offended too! Life isn't over stay strong and live it up we are not old and ancient! Much love

• Posted

Hi Jama, how did you get testosterone pellet implants, assume you're not in the UK as they stopped prescribing testosterone patches here some years ago.  Thanks

• Posted

I went through the menopause at 48 and I'm not offended a bit that it is referred to as the next phase in life...it is, ladies no longer have to have periods so no longer able naturally to get pregnant, my hair had started to go grey way before this so that didn't come into it really, I was very lucky, I sailed through without all the usual accompanying symptoms and have just carried on with my life the same as always except that is when I had to have my hysterectomy almost 2  years ago. You definitely don't age overnight not unless you want to, I am 63 now and still feel like I am in my 30's, yes I do have a few aches and pains I didn't have then but I try to face those with the same positive attitude as I do most things in my life, your life is what you make it and I believe that if you think things will be bad then they most probably will be, don't even think about it simpleseminole just live your life as always, age is but a number.

Phoebe xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.