Fibroids causing possible bladder issues

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 54 and have 2 large fibroids.  I had a polyp removed last year.  I think my fibroids are now causing bladder issues ie I keep wanting to go for a pee all the time and feel something is pressing down on my bladder.  I want to avoid surgery so will these continue growing?  I thought they shrank with age. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Fibroids will continue to grow, but should stop and shrink at least a litlte when you hit menopause. I have a very large fibroid -- causing my stomach to be akin to a 22-24 week prgnancy. I am 52 and have been on Zolodex (similar to Lupron) for about a year now. It has shrunk the fibroid a bit and the plan is to stay on this until i hit menopause. Although some say you shouldn't stay on it too long, not something my doctor seems overly concerned about. My only other option is full hysterectomy -- which I am avoiding. 

IT is most likely pushing on your bladder. Severl types of imaging scans can reveal how problematic it is. You might want to try a drug to try to get some shrinking to stop that symptom.

Best wishes,

Jamie 

• Posted

hello, thanks for your reply. I am post-menopausal and have been for the last 5 or 6 years.  When i had my polyp discovered, it was pointed out to me that i had 2 large fibroids (but not sure of the size) but nothing more was said about it and to be honest, i don't want any operation if i can help it because i have other health issues.  Do you think it would be worth speaking to my doctor about it and see if he can prescribe anything to possibly shrink them? as i understand there are tablets out there that can do this.

• Posted

I think it would be worth a try. Fibristal (in Canada) or Esythma (not sure of spelling, but same drug elsewhere) are tablets that shrink fibroids for some people. I am on Zoladex, like Lupron. These are monthly injections, but also shrink fibroids. The good thing about being post-menopausal, is that maybe the fibroids won't regrow, as they do for premenopausal women. Not sure about that, but I think there's a better chance they wouldn't. I would think it would be worth a try. Best wishes.

• Posted

I use the restroom anywhere from 10-12 times a night and about 5 times a day no exaggeration. .the fibroids are ruining my life my husband would sleep on the couch sometimes because he got tired of me getting up constantly to urinate...I get my consultation Thursday for my procedure date and I can't wait.tried of wearing 2 pads and a super tampon ..the leg pains..back..and constant urination. .plus the anemia..I'm 42..I tried other alternatives but nothing really came from it..I just want part of my life back

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.