Under Investigation.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, so I am new to this.

I have been struggling with lower abdominal pains for years but no one believed me as the pains could last 2 seconds but some could last an hour.

July this year I finally went to the doctors as the pains were so unbearable I was screaming constantly, I had to leave my job because of it and no one knew what was wrong.

The doctors finally did blood tests, they did them 3 different times and each time it one of the bloods came back high (I'm unsure what one).

I finally have an appointment on Tuesday the 18th of October for a colonoscopy, I spoke to a doctor this week and she said that it will most likely be like a 'pre op' were the surgeon will give me information and what not and then I will have to go back. I could essentially be waiting for who knows how long and I can't do it. The doctors won't give me painkillers as they will just constipate me they said.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on what to do and how to cope with all this, it is so stressful and I'm not exactly coping with it well at all.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would go back to your doctor and insist on pain relief.  Painkillers can cause constipation but you can always take prune juice, oranges and green grapes to cope with this.  Your doctor has a duty to ease your pain.  You could always ask for the colonoscopy to be put forward if your pain gets worse or you are worried.  If your doctor won't give your painkillers, try over the counter nurofen or change your doctor to someone who is prepared to help you.

• Posted

Good luck for tomorrow. Your Doctor will be able to say if it is IBS after the colonoscopy, and give you the correct treament. You could try Aloe vera juice from a health food shop, as that soothes the bowel and is not a medicine. When you are having an 'attack' put a hot water bottle on your tummy and try not to panic, as this makes it worse. Do your breathing exercises to calm you.

During the colonoscopy do the breathing exercises to keep you calm.

For me it's stress that starts it off, but it could come days after the stress situation, and you never know why it starts. Not all stressy situations give me an attack.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.