Hypothyroidism, Celiac and/ or Chrones

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm still a relative newbie to the condition Hypothyroidism. I'm currently taking 100mg having started on 50mg.

I'm aware ( now) that certain foods are "advised" to be avoided, however I have most recently been informed that I *may also have either Coeliac - or maybe Chrones ( Im awaiting gastro appointment = expecting endoscopy )

Has anyone else here had the added complications of food intolerance on top of their hypo diagnosis?

I feel like I've been hit by a runaway train and I'm struggling with the reality of what's to come. ( as well as some of the symtoms such as the ovewhelming exhaustion )

My son is confirmed 100% Coeliac and my elder sister has Chrones= we are having to piece together a medical history ourselves

I'm not looking for sympathy or FAD DIETS= they are not welcomed. Only info from folks with a food intolerance on top of Hypo experience please.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Blue T,

I am not sure what you want to hear. No symathy and NO FAD DIETS=not welcome. Yikes. Human emotion is a wonderful thing, let it in, it is so healing to hear word from people with empathy, sympathy, kindness, concern. Why would anyone want to push people away the instant they open their mouths? 

My food intolerance has forced me to eat a certian way, I found out I eat what is called palio. I never read diet books, until recently, since the CD diagnosis 15 months ago.  

Fads are just ways people eat that they found worked for them and they want to share it, don't you think?  I think it is great to share all infor about foods that work and why.  The more I open my mind to new ideas, the more whole I become. 

Hope you feel better.  

• Posted

Hi,

I feel your pain with suffering with both conditions! I myself have hypothyroidism and suspected chromed/coeliac! I currently take 125mg of thyroxine having started on 50mg like yourself! I do also suffer with Rheumatoid Arthritis so 3 disorders!

I'm struggling at the moment as I'm simply too tired to do anything! It's difficult living with both but I've found I just have to be reaaally careful with what I eat otherwise it hits me like a brick wall!!

Jess

• Posted

Thank you.

Unlike the other foment ( which I found a little patronizing )

You hit the mail on the head of what I was saying.

My so had been in a GF diet for almost 15 years, hence the NO FAD DIET coment= Im fully aeare of GF needs.

I wanted to hear from so one who has hypothyroidism AND a GF diet ( as a medical requirement, not just by dad = trust me when I say I've had THAT argument "been there done that"

It's currently at the point of needing to "try and join up all the dots" there is so much going on its difficult to know what IS connected and what isn't = I was so busy I didn't even notice how sick I'd gotten.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.