Achilles Tendon Surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello All, I'm 9 weeks post surgery, off the boot since 3 weeks ago and full weight bearing. However the swelling is too much but what worries me is that the place where the achilles was raptured and got stitched again has formed some sort of a bulge sticking out. 

Anyone experienced this before? My surgeon is telling me it could be a reaction to the stitches dissolving. Going to do an ultrasound in a couple of days, but its really worrying me...

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Week 8 for me today. Similar issue as well as swelling but I've been told my knots are from scarring. Swelling normal I've been on my foot with boot 17 days after surgery. Ice often is my recommendation. Only new symptom Is heel pain otherwise i am ahead of the game and PT helps.

• Posted

That's great... only thing worrying me is the bulge... other than that PT helps a lot

• Posted

I had something like about 4 weeks in when I had my boot on. It was a split stitch and once it was taken out within the hour it was fine. Also, you might want to try a copper compression sock for the swelling. They work really well. I bought mine online.
    • Posted

Yes I got the socks... really works well, but as soon as you take it off the swelling is back.

I removed the outside stitches more than 5 weeks ago, I was referring to the ones inside.

Best,

Raed

• Posted

Hello, raed59426.  I am about 11 weeks post surgery. I have observed that the surgical area is not smooth as it was before the injury. My surgeon and PT say that scar tissue at the repair under the skin is the culprit. In fact, in working on heel raises (still can't do single raises or walk on toes) the repair site seemed as it was "buckled"; felt like a roll of dimes was restricting motion.  This has gotten very slowly somewhat better.

I also still have some swelling. I have an ice machine I bought online that i use at home, and ice it whenever I can using ice wraps (velcro straps with a material pouch and gel packs) several times a day. The swelling is reduced (not gone) and some of the weird sensations (like puffiness, tingling, occasional shooters) have subsided somewhat.  

I am not a medical person; not qualified to give advice. Just sharing my experience. If you are worried, keep after doc to investigate. Sounds like you will get an ultrasound to see if anything unusual is occurring; also sounds like my experience is somewhat similar.  Recovery is frustratingly slow.  Let us know what you find from ultrasound.  

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

• Posted

Thanks a lot Rob, it does seem like what im experiencing is similar yours. Thx for your feedback, kind of eases the fear when you see others have experienced the same.

Will let you know what the ultrasounds tells us...

Best,

Raed

• Posted

When my tendon ruptured (with a loud "pop"wink on July 29, I really did not appreciate how serious an injury this would be, and how long it would take to restore strength, flexibility, and range of motion after surgery. 

Rob

• Posted

I had surgery to repair torn achilles at the age of 45 about 2-1/2 years ago. I had swelling for about 8 months that required me to elevate my leg as often as possible. The swelling gradually improved.  And, I still have a bulge on my heel.  My doc told me it might never go away at a follow up visit. It hasn't. He didn't say anything about it being from stitches, but he was not very good at preparing me for what to expect post op despite my asking many good questions. Buying shoes is difficult because my right foot is now a half size bigger than my left.  I'm sorry that I'm not giving much encouraging info, but that is my reality and might be similar for you. The good news is I can run again. I injured it playing soccer, but no longer play as I am terrified to tear it again. The recovery was pretty unpleasant. Good luck!

• Posted

I still have swelling and I had my surgery almost 2 years ago this December.  This Wednesday I go in to get a cortisone shot to see if that will help the tender pain I still get on the side of the ankle.  I don't remember  a normal looking ankle.  I think the swelling is something that we deal with on and off.

• Posted

Update of the scan is that the ultrasound showed an aggressive infection around the tendon. Surgeon is saying it's cause by the body rejecting the internal stitches trying to dissolve... will be on Steroids for 5 days.

Thx

Raed

• Posted

Thanks for the update. Hope your recovery is speedy and complete. 
    • Posted

Thx man.. Hopefully everybody recovers properly. This injury is so tough it just drains you.
    • Posted

I went yesterday & got my first Ultrasound Cortisone injection. The Dr was great! What he saw is a bunch of small tendons still not all healed after my surgery slmost 2-years ago!!! So hoping the shots will help. So far no pain. The shot itself was horribly painful, but so far all good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.