Wondering if anyone else developed a bad rash surrounding the incision site

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All! I'm new to the site...I had my TNR on my right knee in Jan of this year 2016. I will be having one on my left knee as soon as I'm ready. I was wondering if anyone else developed a horrible rash around their incision site? My incision was glued closed...my doctor isn't sure what caused it...allergic reaction to the glue or maybe to the stuff they use to prep the knee before surgery or???? It was awful, red bumpy rash that itched like crazy & took sometime to go away...on top of the pain from the knee surgery!!! Yikes!! I had to take antibiotics for weeks & then it FINALLY healed up. I would like to avoid this happening with my next replacement...has anyone experienced this reaction?? Thank you!

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Dear Holly

It happend to me too on my left leg. But the rash appeared about 5 weeks ago, exactly on the scar, very itchy.  I had TKR done on 23.5.16. I am allergic to metal, so I am worried about the reaction to implant which is made of chrome and cobalt. I had TKR on the right leg 2.5 years ago, implant is covered in zirconium to avoid allergic reaction.  No problems there.

Please write to me if you disover what caused it. Thank you. All the best - Grace

• Posted

Hi Grace...thank you for your response. I will let you know if I find out what caused it. I hope your rash is getting better. Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Holly
  • Posted

Hi Holly. I had this and it drive me mad too. I saw a different doctor who prescribed Capsaicin cream made from chilliest. It worked wonders
    • Posted

Chillies that is 
    • Posted

Hi Sue...Thank you for the information. I will make a note of that cream for the next tkr if the same thing happens again. It was pretty Miserable & took so long to go away. Do you have any idea what caused yours?

• Posted

Hi Holly. No I never found out what caused it. But can only say that the cream worked wonders. Good luck with your next TKR. I'm waiting myself x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.