Anyone have muscle twitching/weakness?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi friends - day 7 of 20 mg and I am very shaky today. Legs feel weak and face muscles keep twitching. I'm going to call my doctor today and talk to someone about these side effects, maybe I need a lower dose? Doctor said he didn't think 10mg would have any effect. Every day I am waking up with something new and I don't know how to cope 😢 I am supposed to be doing physical therapy twice a week for my back and I feel like I can't even leave my house much less drive myself there. You have all been so helpful already so I guess I just need some reassurance.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I had this the first couple of weeks. I think by my 4th week those kind of symptoms calmed down. Give it some time, it will get better
  • Posted

Hi there,

I had these symptoms before I started taking fluoxetine. Something to do with my health anxiety and thinking I had any number of diseases. It did get worse during the beginning of my taking 20MG of fluoxetine daily, so you are not alone in this. Then after about 9 weeks on fluoxetine, I started noticing that this weakness and twitching was getting less and less. Now, a little more than three months in and the twitching/weakness is almost 100% gone. Stick with it!

• Posted

These are side effects I endured from day 1 to around 6th - 7th week. I am also on 20mg per day, yes the side effects are quite a few but at week 17

I feel the best I have for a long time. I still have 'blip' days but what you are experiencing is what the majority of flouextine takers experience. Keep talking on here it really helps but stick with it you will feel the benefits

• Posted

Hi there,

yes I had these symptoms as well but they passed after a few weeks, my teeth chattered at one point!...but it does get better, try to stay on your dose and do the best you can to get through, I know its not easy but things will be better x

• Posted

Thank you so much guys, I feel so much better knowing it's not just me. My husband gets very frustrated (which I can definitely understand) because he thinks there shouldn't be any side effects since I have taken Flu in the past and didn't have a problem. I know I need to stick with it and it's going to be worth it in the end, it's just getting there that's hard sad

• Posted

My doctor told me when I went back and forth visiting worrying about side effects

SSRI change the chemical balance of the bodies most important organ 'the brain' you can be sure the body will resist with everything it's got that's why side effects are so usual but it will level out and in my case it has so try too relax (even a tinsy bit)

• Posted

My husband doesn't get it either - but I certainly do! While the twitching continues, one thing that I found helpful was to just let it happen. I found myself tensing up in the hopes of controlling the twitching, which only resulted in more twitching, especially as I laid in bed. Try (as best you can) to just relax and realize that your body is making an adjustment. That really helped me.

• Posted

Hi,

Yes - unfortunately these are common side effects. I know they're difficult to deal with! I'm on day 25 and the twitching stopped about a week or so ago. I still have periods of leg weakness though. I just try not to think about it (not easy). Since you are one week into this, remember that your anxiety might get a bit worse too, which can make all of the symptoms seem worse. It is not a fun ride but I love hearing everyone's success stories to give the rest of us hope! Hang in there. Xxx

• Edited

Thanks everyone. I spoke to the nurse at my doctor's office who assured me this is all normal so I guess I feel a bit better for having called. Funny thing is Jennifer my anxiety seems slightly less today, just that dealing with these side effects is terrible.

• Edited

Well that's a positive! Hopefully it will stay that way. It's always so reassuring to hear from the doctor that what we're feeling is "normal". Xx

• Edited

Yes it is! When I woke up this morning I thought I had lost it but it's good to know I'm still here!

• Edited

I am forcing myself to take a walk around the block even though I hardly feel like it sad

• Edited

That's really really good. I am doing this now as well and it really DOES help and make a difference. Well done. Keep going, have a nice bubble bath and listen to some music and relax, and the walking is a brilliant idea, really works wonders x

• Edited

Yes, distraction does help. I am a spiritual person and so I also rely alot on prayer and that definitely helps too. As does reading all the encouraging words on this forum, I don't know where I would be without it <3 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.