No sleep

Posted , 7 users are following.

Nearly 2 years ago I suffered with big time stress. And since then I have not slept one wink of natural sleep. And only a handful of times with drugs.i have had all the tablets for sleeping you can think of but nothing works. I have had loads of different tablets for anxiety but again they don't work. It seems that I am stuck in fight or flight mode and on constant alert all the time. Has any one else suffered from this or knows an answer

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Yes me exactly i was 30 when it started i didnt sleep for 3 weeks and almost died the fear of not sleeping has followed me through my life like a dragon. I completely understand. I my case it was stress in childhood.

im terrified of everything. You can get help for everything in the nhs but not insomnia and sleeping pill addiction. Ive seen dozens of  complimentory therapists too.

• Posted

I have suffered from this and know exactly what you're going through.

For 2 years I haven't been sleeping properly. Through stress and anxiety. I didn't think it was stress and it wasn't after I'd had every test/scan done that I found out that it is stress.

I've been given tablets that help but they don't fix the problem. I was diagnosed at a sleep clinic with having hyper-vigilance- where my mind won't switch off at night. Like stuck in fight or flight.

I was told CBT through a psychologist will help. I'm seeing a psychologist already and the CBT helps. It externalises the worries and then your brain thinks the issue has been resolved.

The main thing is to sort out what's worrying you. If it's something that can't change then how you deal with it/think about it must.

It's important to know that worrying can cause significant mental/physical distress. I had extreme back pain as a result.

I find mindfulness and meditation along with doing yoga and running beneficial.

If you're really stressed, like I was, no amount of drugs will help sad

• Posted

I never thought cbt or mindfullness ever helped me neither did eft hypnotherepy etc. Its about thinking about not sleeping. Ive been like this for years and thinking about it gives the problem energy. People who sleep well on ie concrete 😖 Dont think about it. They drop off anywhere all my friends do. Ive been in a lnely place for years. Im glad you found the answer Paul theres hope then.

• Posted

There is hope for you. I had stress through family problems, work, health anxiety. All these things made me stressed and caused sleep problems. I'm not fully "cured" but a lot better.

When I do CBT I write down my thoughts, feelings, physical symptoms etc and analyse them. But it's the writing them down that externalises them and that seems to allow my brain to move on. With mindful meditation the breathing really helps me. Both of these took time though, it wasn't a quick fix.

When I had anxiety I was hyperventilating, I couldn't lay still. I was thinking about not being able to sleep. The mirtazapine I would normally take just wouldn't do anything.

I know what you mean about not treating insomnia on NHS.

• Posted

Mirtazapine- 15mg then 7.5mg

It actually helps you sleep more the lower dose you take. This definetly helped me

• Posted

Its like you are stuck in a circle of no sleep gives you anxiety and anxiety

stops you from sleeping.the trouble is i have gone so long without

sleep my brain thinks it is the norm. How do you break that circle?

How do you stop this fight and flight/being on high alert all the time?

Like i said i have tried all manner of drugs i also have had cbt,cbti, hypno,

Seen loads of different doctors, nothing seems to be working.

• Posted

Have you had your cortisol levels tested? Making sure your body isn't actually stuck on fight or flight.

This may sound stupid but do you do any aerobic exercise?

• Posted

I've sent you a message with a link but it's being moderated.

It's for Edinburgh sleep centre. Just google it

• Posted

Puzzler

Talk to your GP and see if you can be seen at a sleep clinic, that may help.

I use Relaxation Techniques to sleep, just to relax me down from awake. Mindfulness may help you discuss this with your GP it may be a positive way forward.

Mindfulness is a life changer and deals with various situations in life

BOB

• Posted

Yes and it sucks. Don't know what to do about it, bags under eyes.

• Posted

I stopped sleeping after becoming very ill and taken off all my pharmaceutical drugs which I was on for about 20 years. I only sleep about 1 hour a night and have electrical pains everywhere. I'm completely bedridden now and don't know what to do anymore. Nothing helps at this point and anything I take just makes it worse and drops my oxygen. I understand. Wish I had an answer. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.