I cannot tolerate any Supplements / Medications

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I have struggled with chronic IBS-C for 5 -10 years. My primary symptom is that I simply cannot take / handle any type of Supplement / Medication. Everything ranging from Aloe, DGL, Natural Vitamins, Coconut oil, etc etc etc. Last week my newest doctor had me try a very low dose digestive enzyme. After several days I began to experience the common stomach burning / cramping / bloating / anxiety / headaches / weakness / fatigue / insomnia. For my stomach she had me try pepto bismol --- just made things worse.

1) Ulcer -

The only thing my colonscopy / endoscopies have turned up is an ulcer. The diet that works best for me is a 'non-abrasive' diet -- fiber, whole wheat, beans, rice, lean meats. Raw vegetables, high fat meats, stuff like that hurt my stomach (as do the normal irritants -- coffee, caffeine, high sugar, etc which I avoid).

So my question is -- could my inability to take Supplements & Medications simply be due to an Ulcer?

2) Anxiety -

I always go back and forth with my IBS and anxiety. Do the problematic foods, supplements & medications trigger anxiety which causes my IBS, or is it the other way around? Chicken & Egg type deal.

Could I be unable to take Supplements & Medications b/c these simply trigger anxiety?

For example - my doctor had me try vitamin b pills last month - they of course caused my normal symptoms - stomach & anxiety. So, I tried a Vitamin B topical cream -- this did not seem to irritate my stomach, but increased my other symptoms -- anxiety, headaches, weakness (same goes for IV's & Sublinguals).

- Would a Topical Creams reach the stomach? If not, why would this increase my anxiety and other non-stomach symptoms if the primary issue is IBS?

================

I am on about my 25th-30th doctor, I have read up on IBS for years and simply still at a loss as to why I cannot take any Supplement / Medication whatsoever and am even sensitive to topical creams. My family is concerned that if I do not take anything I am never going to get better. And other concerns such as if I had surgery or was in an accident, I would be at serious risk since I cannot handle any medication.

I really appreciate any feedback you can provide - thank you.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I am sensitive to many prescribed medications, local and general anaesthesia and the wipes they use prior to blood tests and I was told that I may have a sensitivity to the needles as well.  Over the counter medications tend to be better or sometimes they don't work at all.  I have always been like this because I have Aspergers which gives me anxiety. Now I have IBS as well.

• Posted

Sounds more like the anxiety. Especially if you get the same results with topical creams which do not reach the digestive system. However ppl with ibs can be more sensitive to medications. I think sometimes you have to give your system time to get used to things.
    • Posted

Thanks - I will start paying closer attention to my anxiety levels and try to manage better.
  • Posted

Though I am no medical expert, I think it most likely that if you have an ulcer, that this needs to be healed first, and then you should be able to take supplements and vitamins etc.  I think they give Gaviscon for that, but not sure. 

I have had IBS with diverticulitis most of my life, and also have gall-stones, with one blocking, and IBS  just sets off the other, so have to be very careful.  I take Milk Thistle to help the liver and it does.  I am in an IBS flare at the moment and have taken kaolin and morphine again today, and this works well for me, with an occasional Colofac tablet.

You do so need to somehow manage to take something to heal that ulcer first.

I will have a think about it, and hopefully get back to you.       Gracegirl

• Posted

I hope I am still writing to rrr444 about the stomach ulcer.   I was reminded just now that I always took Slippery Elm food for any ulceritis or inflammation in the stomach in the past.   As this is a good and is easy to digest, I think it might just help you.   It is obtainable from any good Health shop and from memory, is reasonably priced.   It puts a light covering on the stomach area, and I would most certainly use it, either to make as a drink, or take as a food.   It is not terribly pleasant to take, so you can add some honey to it.  It has such healing properties.        Gracegirl
    • Posted

Thank you for your feedback and information, I appreciate it. I was admitted to the ER again this week, however CT, Colonoscopy, etc came back clean.

My new doctor has started me on sublingual Hyoscyamine and Clonazepam which has helped my stomach pain the past couple days and allowed me to sleep some.. fingers crossed..

• Posted

Dear rrr444,  You have progressed somewhat then, and just hope you can manage the drugs, which should help.

I am about to take my slippery elm food to ease my stomach pain.

Just hope you get some relief, and also some better sleep, which helps so much.

Gracegirl

• Posted

Hi, I have just found this post and i know it was 4 years ago but I am suffering exactly the same symptoms as you and wondered if you ever found out what caused the problem?

• Posted

Amanda check out my post. And wondering if you got the vaccine? And if so which one and how did you do? Hope you are feeling better.

• Posted

I have the same exact sensitivity to supplements and medication. After 13 years I discovered it's from mold toxicity, which is a very common cause of gut issues and multiple chemical sensitivity. It acts as a biotoxin kind of like Lyme Disease and wreaks havoc on those of us that are sensitive to it and can't detox it easilty. It's also correlated with something called Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. Check out Beth O'hara at Mast Cell 360. I just got on her waitlist. Wondering if you happened to have gotten the vaccine? If so, how did you do? I'm trying to find people like us and see how they did to make an informed decision. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

One more thing- Mold toxicity also wreaks havoc on the nervous system. Nervous system dysregulation is no joke.

• Posted

hi rrr, i wish i knew your name but it's the initials you put! i think you are super anxious and the anxiety is causing more problems. i am super sensitive to lots of medication, i either fall through low blood pressure as a side effect of medicines, i get very sick or constipated or hallucinate or get vertigo! it's not right! you may be need to sort the route cause of your anxiety then medication may well work. have you tried to ask about seeing someone about your anxiety? there's mental health charities that will help you with this. in terms of medication try just plain old gaviscon on top of the sensible strict diet you have worked out (and that is no mean feat)! just relax when you're given new medication, try really bland ones, check they're ok with your chemist and ask for help with the ulcer only. i have several health complaints including gastritis so will only use the medications i really know. YOU know you're body, your doctors ONLY know what you tell them. just listen, smile and if you feel after research medicines sound ok try them. not everything works for everyone! good luck. x

• Posted

Hi rrr,

When you had a colonoscopy, did the dr. take samples of your colon to check for microscopic colitis? Many don't and you have to request. I found out I have it and I have identical problems with medicines/supplements. Hoping I don't get in an accident any time soon. I also can't eat any additives whatsoever. Whether you have microscopic colitis, or an ulcer, you may have bile malabsorption which can cause the IBS symptoms and anxiety. Interestingly, the natural antidote for bile malabsorption is eating bile binding foods which are all plant foods. Many are high residue. I have never given up on fiber foods with my colitis and I have found they are typically not the ones that cause the big problems (maybe bloating though). Steamed kale and beets are the best to bind bile acids. There are also medications but like me, you'd probably like to go the natural route. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.