Anxiety or Heart issues?

Posted , 4 users are following.

For the last month I have been dealing with what may be anxiety or heart related pain.

I am a 21 year old male who apparently judging by the tests is quite healthy.

This all started when chest pain came on while I was at work. It was stabbing and caught me off guard. I immediately panicked thinking that this could be something serious. I got in with my doctor the next day who diagnosed this as a muscle strain. Next day the pain moved more into my back and now I'm having painful upper back pain and chest pain have for the last month. The pain is more on the left side of my body which is even more scary and is a achey pain. I offten feel extremely tense and almost have a choking sensation in my throat. My chest feels tight when I exhale and don't immediately inhale. The acheyness is pretty constant but it seems to agrivate it when I get up and move around. I have tried hard to remain calm but still find myself obsessing over what this is as it is really playing into my life. When I go out with friends I find myself worrying about if it is heart related or something serious what would happen.

I have had multiple tests done including:

Lymes disease

Full blood count

Thyroid blood test

SED test

ECG

Chest X-ray

Vitamin D deficiency test.

Fibromyalgia pressure point test

All of these have come back perfect. So apparently I'm healthy? My doctor told me this last week he has checked off the list and thinks these pains could be a double edged sword of anxiety. Where I am scared this could be something else and that is making my pain worse. He prescribed me cymbalta and I have been taking that for the last week. I understand that takes time to kick in so I don't expect instant results. Just wondering if this seems like it could be angina or related or if I am just over reacting. In total I've seen more than one doctor now and been into the doctors 6 times over the last month.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

To be absolutely sure Id ask for an Echocardiogram. That will check for the heart structure.

But for what its worth it does sound like you have anxiety and panic is setting in as the brain interprets the worry for fight and flight.

• Posted

Already had a ECG as I went into the er 2 weeks ago fearing I was having a heart attack. They gave me the okay.
  • Posted

sounds like anxiety.  if you have had all the test including ecg ekg etc they would of found something on those// worrying can only make it worse. We all tend to go over baord with worry. i do the same what if they missed something etc..imagination is a powerful thing try to stay calm seems like you had a lot of tests so there you are your fine .. ill swap you any time // yes i was woried to at first but nothing i can do about it.. so enjoy yr life yr young dont let it get you down .. best of luck ...julsx
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been feeling great. However I hope I can offer a glimmer of reassurance; I am a mental health nurse and the symptoms you describe sound like classic anxiety/panic attacks. Please give the medication a chance to work - usually a minimum of three weeks is necessary before feeling the benefit, and in the mean time ask your GP to refer you for counselling/talking therapies. There are many voluntary organisations such as MIND who can offer advice and information too. But, don't rule out physical origins of your symptoms, keep seeing your GP if you feel more physical tests may be beneficial. I hope you start to feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you very much. This helped a ton. I am getting a MRI soon to rule out the fact that this could be back related. I am going to try and get in for consoling asap. I really appreciate your help.
    • Posted

My pleasure. Always rule out physical origins first so good luck with MRI scan. Look after yourself and please don't worry. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.