Optician referral to hospital. So worried

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

I hope someone can help as I am going mad with worry. I went to see an optician last week (i've not seen one in years as not had trouble with my eyes that I knew of). Anyway, he exmained me and my vision in the left eye is perfect as well as the inside of the eye. The right eye is shortsighted. He examined my eyes with the bright light and then said I have to refer you to the hospital and gave me a letter for my GP about my shortsighted right eye....I walked out of there dazed and panicked... Basically the letter says 'urgent referral' - RE disc margins blurred 0.2. Otherwise both eyes appear healthy.

What does this mean? I've done a lot of googling but all sorts of eye conditions keep coming up but I've not found anything as to say what this means? Does blurred disc margins  mean inflammation of the optic disc? What could cause this?

I gave the letter to my GP practice and they said the hospital will write to me. So it is a long wait now and I  feel sick with worry that I can't eat. The optician asked me if I have frequent strong headaches. I have occassional and mild headaches. No loss of temporary vision in my RE and i have been shortsighted in this eye for at least 15 years. No nausea or vomitting and the pressure in both my eyes is normal. It's 13 and 15 in each eye.

Please can someone tell me what could cause blurred disc margins in one eye? Is it inflammation of the optic nerve or could this mean something else? I know no one can tell me for sure what I have but I was hoping there are people who may have had the same or know what could cause blurred optic disc margins. Presumably 0.2 means the blurred margin of 0.2 mm. Is this significant?

I am 42yo, not diabetic and have normal blood pressure, last reading about three weeks ago 114/78.

Sorry for the long post and many thanks to anyone who replies

Diana

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,call that doctor and request an explanation,its not fair to make you wait that long so you make yourself sick over it. Remember,doctors are only human and arent always right,maybe he or she is just extra cautuous. Call them so at least you know whats going on. Please keep us posted. Hugs!
  • Posted

Also was it an optician as in a place that sells glasses or an opthamologist, eye doctor?
  • Posted

Hospital told me after a referral from an optician that our equipment is much better than theirs.
  • Posted

Hi thanks. It was in Specsaver but I dont know if he was an optician or opthamologist. I did ask him what it meant and he just said what the letter said, that he detected blurred margins of the optic disc in my right eye.  He could not tell me what the causes are as I believe he cannot diagnose people on the basis of this alone and is probably not allowed to say anything, but he said anything to do with the optic nerve/disc requires urgent referral. So I don't know what this all means. Hopefully someone can tell me what blurred optic disc means and what might cause it in one eye as many conditions  I've read about have it in both eyes.

• Posted

hi,

don't worry.

it could be an optic disc drusen and it doesn't cause any harm .

also, you said it's a myopic eye , so it may be a normal finding in myopia.

as long as you have no eye pain, or headache , or change in your vision or visual field, it wouldn't be of any danger.

cool down, coz stress can cause serious eye problems like maculae edema.

it's an accidentally discovered, so you've bee with it since years back without complications.

relax and wait for your reinal dr. appoint.

• Posted

Hi Diana, don't worry unnecessarily.  The people in Specsavers are Optometrists, as are all High Street Opticians.  Ophthalmologists are medically trained doctors, whom you find in hospitals.

Specsavers can refer you straight to the hospital eye clinic if they are very worried about something.  It would be a good idea to telephone your surgery & ask to speak to a GP [it may be quicker than trying to make an appointment]

Don't worry & do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi guys just an update. I went to the hospital and had a zillion eye tests. A consultant looked at my eye and could not see anything wrong with my eye other than the issue with the swollen optic nerve. She basically said it is either optic neuritis or genetic. She said to be absolutely sure she referred me to an MRI scan so I am now waiting for that. I also have allergies and suffer with my sinuses so although unlikely it could be related inflammation. I am just waiting for the MRI scan and hoping that it will be ok. 
    • Posted

I hope the MRI scan doesn't throw up anything else Diana, good luck & let us know how you get on with that.

Any idea how long you will have to wait for it?

• Posted

Guys brilliant news! Had MRI scan two weeks ago and went for the results today. The scan has shown no brain abnormalities and no optic neuritis! The doctor said I was most likely born like this. The way she described is like looking at a small part of skin and it all looks fine in most people but when looking at mine it's like there is a mole on it. Basically my nerve is very oddly shaped and it makes it look swollen but there's no neuritis shown on the MRI scan nor any brain lesions etc. So I am well relieved and I've been discharged from hospital with no further action. Thanks to all for your replies and I hope it gives others hope that something that appears serious like neuritis could actually be a genetic abnormality. 

• Posted

I am so glad Diana, that must be a huge weight off your mind.

• Posted

Indeed thanks very much for your kind words Mrsmop 
    • Posted

Great news. The optician was doing what was right for you but caused you a lot of worry. As we said his equipment and training are not enough to make a diagnosis.  
  • Posted

Hi Diana

I have just been to opticians and been referred to local hospital eye unit too . Got my letter this morning and was alarmed to see it said urgent etc ... having read your thread I'm hoping it is a similar outcome . All the optician said was that my left disc seemed slightly blurred ? I go to the opticians annually anyway so I'm just worried that something has changed ?

My pressures were all ok and my prescription hasn't changed . I'm feeling quite anxious now !

• Posted

If it had said 'routine' you might have had a six month wait.

• Posted

Yes I know , I'm just managing to diagnose myself with all sorts now. So although its urgent its still 2 weeks away which seems an age to get clarification.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.