5th metatersal surgery 4/28/16. Still horrific pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had surgery on my right foot . A titanium Screw and bone graft on 4/28/16. I began physical therapy 8/2016 2X a week. And home exercise. I'm very faithful doing what they say. But walking on uneven surfaces is painful, so I keep my fracture boot on to walk the dog and if I go food shopping. But at home I do go bare feet and I do put both sneakers on. Lately even wearing my boot it is painful on the bottom outside of my four. Swelling, burning .and when walking I hear crunches sounds. I attempted to walk on my heels with the sneakers on and I loudly stated oh my the pain.How much longer will I have this much discomfort ? I'm getting a foot pad, I saw a pain doctor who wants to use injections in my back. But I want to know who else is having pain, and it hurts while sitting.

Any suggestions maybe more PT, heat therapy?

Thank you

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi gail06211

I think you need to get some xrays on your foot to investigate just what is causing the pain....best foot forward so to speak......best wishes.....

• Posted

Hi gail06111, I had a similar problem. I was in a bad car accident and broke my foot. I had two titanium screws placed in my ankle. For two years following the surgery my foot hurt so badly. The pain just wasn't getting better. Went through alot just like you did until I got a second opinion. The orthopedic doctor told me that some people just reject the foreign objects (the screws). He said my foot had healed and he suggested that the screws be removed. We scheduled the surgery to remove the screws and it was successful. That was ten years ago. I had no more pain and other than the scar I've had no further problems.

As good as new. I'm not a doctor but maybe asking if this could also be your problem might help you.

God bless you

kristyk

• Posted

HI

Thank you for replying

I remember when I had a screw in my knee over 20 yrs ago and they removed it because my body rejected it.

Great idea for X-rays and maybe that's why the pain walking with the fracture boot , with good sneakers, and at night time pain is a level 7-8.

Thank you so much

• Posted

Hi,

gail06111,

I had a stress fracture of the great right toe on the 5th metatarsal earlier this year. It took me months to find an answer to my pain because my Podiatrist would just tell me to go and find shoes that don't bend? I looked everywhere. I must have spent $200 in foot padding and other types of footwear. It was a waist of money. 

7 or 8 months later i was still in pain and even got let go from work due to walking issues and pain. 

After that I ran into a man that works at a shoe store here in the U.S. called Foot Traffic. They put me on a treadmill and did a test to see how I walk with a computer. It was pretty nice. Then they tested about 5 pairs of tennis shoes on me. 

My suggestion is this. Buy shoes that are 1/2 to 1 size bigger than your feet. The shoes I got are called HOKA One One X-40 high rebound insole for high performance. They are perfect for the kind of pain i think that you are feeling. 

You can probably get them at a high performance running store. They are great for walking on uneven surfaces. I never feel off balance anymore and the pain is gone. After 1 month I can even walk on bare surface for a short time without pain. I bought two pairs because they are like $150 per pair. They are made in Vietnam. My doctor could not give me any recommendations and I felt helpless. 

They have about 5 colours. It's unfortunate that we have to go for so long in pain without help. I bought two pairs. When you have the metatarsal pain - mine was from walking with a fracture and it tore my small bones apart and my tendon...nobody seems to understand how much pain you are actually in. I do. 

Please look them up online. I usually wear a size 7.5 or 8. You want the wide front and back to stay even on your feet. Our toes are not meant to be squeezed into shoes. Good luck and feel better soon. 

• Posted

Thank you so much. I do wear a good pair of sneakers 😊 But I need to take them off to release the pressure. I also where the fracture boot too.

I am faithful doing the home physical therapy exercises daily .

The pain has gotten worse within the last 2 wks. I dont know if seeing a podiatrist podiatrist is a good idea?

Thank you again for replying

• Posted

gail06111, I don't know a thing about your specific foot problem but I will tell you that it is not good to go without shoes. And those shoes need to be a good pair of shoes with a good cushion in them. My physical therapist told me this. So go to a running store. One that specializes in running gear including shoes.And like someone else commented it's going to cost you. But it will help alot. Of course like someone else said, I'd go see the doctor again too.

• Posted

Thank you I'm going to get a better pair of sneakers 😊

• Posted

Hi Gail,

These sneakers have padding exactly where they need to be. It feels like I am walking on a padded surface, got rid of my metatarsal pain and even helps me with my lower back issues. I wouldn't be back in college if it wasn't for these shoes. There are other kinds of shoes, so of course you would need to try them out. They let me walk around for over an hour in the store with the shoes. While I wasn't out of pain right away, the pain really subsided. 

Maybe going to the Dr. and asking about these shoes would help. They have great reviews for a reason on the shoes. I like them too because I am like 2 inches taller. 

Your injury does sound worse than mine is so it is really up to you. I also didn't have surgery. All I know is my Podiatrist was worthless and it was a blessing that I met the man who referred me to the store he works at. 

Good luck to you. The shoes will be expensive. When I went there I told them I had a metatarsal injury and they knew what type of shoes to bring out. 

I hope this helps. Doctors can only do so much. Physical therapy too. What matters to me is that after I started wearing the shoes the strength in my foot got way better. Ask the Doctor if it is ok to get into some recommended shoes right now. 

Maybe you can wear them an hour per day or so until your foot is healed. All i know is I am hooked on these shoes. 

Have a great day! 

• Posted

HI thank you I will look into those sneakers would you please give me that info again please.

I am going to call the doctor even laying in bed my foot hurts burning

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.