Could my 8 year old son have autism?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I'm having a really tough time with my 8 year old son he's now in year 4 but his behaviour has been a problem for as long as I can remember. He can be calm and happy one minute and angry and agressive the next. He's been in trouble at school many times for hurting other children, he seem anxious and he's very emotional. So I saw a paediatrician on Friday to discuss adhd but she felt it's not adhd but could be autism based on the fact that he struggles in social situations. Autism is not something I had considered and the only sensory things he does is put things in his mouth and he does repeat noises and phrases over and over at times when he's playing but not all the time. Has anyone had any experience of this? Thanks Sarah

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The world is an unpredictable place when you're 8. Simon Baron Cohen is the leading researcherror. He's created a number of assessment tools. PM me if you do get a diagnosis - I have loads of resources.

• Posted

The world is an unpredictable place when you're 8. Simon Baron Cohen is the leading researcherror. He's created a number of assessment tools. PM me if you do get a diagnosis - I have loads of resources.

• Posted

Have you gotten a karotype. blood test to rule out 47 xxy syndrome. Many children are sometimes diagnosed with autism and they turn out to have 47 chromosomes.

It is better to know if your child has xxy or autism. Both are similar, but also different. I hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.