My boyfriend, Zoloft 100mg (sertraline)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all

I feel absolutely akward writing this but I am very lost at this moment. My boyfriend is taking Zoloft 100mg/day. He is a wonderfull man however I feel I need to understand how this medication is affecting him. From the beginning of our relationship he has been very honest and told me he was in meditation due to pannick attacks and anxiety dissorders. He managed to quit for a while but something happened to him and he had to come back to them.

He explained a bit about how that medication affects his personality however I am still very messed about it. I understand his sex drive is low (I have to admit is hard, and at the beginning I felt I was not attractive enought for him). but I came to accept this, but what I am mostly concerned about is about his changes of humor as he is sometimes like tired and grumpy. 

I know he needs the medication, no discussion about this, but I dont know what do to here. Being in such condition is no a free ticket to be mean but when I try to talk about it it is not that easy. I honestly dont know how to tackle this without getting him on a defensive mode.

I do love him and I dont know how to help him, and I am starting to think that maybe I am not the right person to deal with this... Maybe I am too empathetic to be cold and take things as they are but it really affects me to see him down and not being able to do anything.

Maybe some of you who are using this or who are in the same situation may  help me on how to manage this situation. Or at least understand him a bit more...

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, obviously I can't speak for your boyfriend but this is how I feel.

I have moderate depression and anxiety issues, I am on medication for this and I get very tired quite easily so I just want to 'shut off', even being pleasant can sometimes require a level of energy that I don't have. Even sometimes when I'm scared I just want to be by myself.

I think, it might be good to speak to your boyfriend when he is in a good frame of mind and ask him want he would like you to do when he is feeling particularly out of sorts. Alternatively, if he is being grumpy or mean just accept that he might want a bit of space and, besides, you are right nothing excuses that kind of behaviour. Maybe just say something like you get the sense that he would like some space and to let you know when he's feeling a bit more sociable.

Please note, also, there might be a sense of guilt attached to how he is feeling, I know I'm not always the easiest person to be around and that doesn't feel particularly good.

Sending best wishes to you and your boyfriend.

• Posted

Hi There.. I am no doctor, but will gladly share my story in the hopes that it might help..

Firstly, how long has he been on? In the beginning there are a few side effects which should be managed.

I was very concerned last week, read hundreds of success stories and hundreds not-so-success..

Let me start by explaining what happens when you start, as this is a bit vague and I found little explanation.... I am no docor, so please excuse the layman terms..

Amongst other chemicals, your brain produces seratonin.. Whatever is not used up gets taken up again - (again, not sure how or when)

So what sertraline does is it blocks this reuptake as it is a SSRI (selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor) So now, there is more seratonin available, but you only have the receptors for it that you had before you started taking sertraline. So your brain goes ahead and makes more receptors to take up all this new seratonin.. This then explains why it takes several weeks to "kick in" you are busy creating receptors.. Also in the meantime, your brain is made aware that there is so much seratonin all of a sudden and halts the production - explaining why we might experience a bad week before things go super...Once again, I apologize, but I explain it like I understand it..

Then the other thing that I found helpful from reading a lot of posts. Sertralin causes insomnia (I am still not sure if it is only in the beginning - I get mixed reaction) so you have to manage this. Take something to improve sleep, but you can't just take any old over-the-counter mediction - it may interfere.

It makes the world of a difference if you had adequate sleep the night before.

Hope it helps..

• Posted

Thanks Ryan! He has been already for more than a year.... So he body should have already adapted to it.

I talked to him and lets see if he understand that he also needs to make it easier for the people arround. I think he got my point so lets see!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.