thinking about postponed it

Posted , 5 users are following.

I got green light with my insurace to cover my surgery on Monday oct 31 but only if i go home the same day .. but here the catch my doctors say that normally you spend at least 1 night at hospital ... any one had that issue ?

1 like, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

In my case they considered out-patient up 23 hours so I stayed overnight. I hope it all goes well.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Are you having a total removal of your thyroid? If so, it's imperative you stay long enough for them to monitor your Calcium levels. Mine turned out to be cancer after they removed the right side and put it through further pathology. I went back 10 days later to remove the rest of my thyroid, Depending on on how serious your case is to have yours out you may need to just get it done and go home sooner. Maybe your Dr can put in a call to your insurance to clear the matter. I certainly didn't sleep at all the 2nd time around but I had to stay for monitoring.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Carmel,

Where are you? In the UK.?

I can only tell you that most surgeons will want you in hospital overnight to check on swelling and  your drain, which is usually inserted after the operation. So that seems like a get out with the insurance. My first operation was rt sided removal of a large lump and I was in for three nights as the wound wasn't draining properly and for  the second for removal of the rest I was in for two nighs. Get your surgeon to confirm with the Insurance. Good luck.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up