Celexa need help

Posted , 5 users are following.

My girl was on celexa,she after being cleared from her anerizems decided to just stop taking it.I told her we need to ween but she refuses,what should I do,and how can I help her through this,she has been on it for 5 months

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Has she just stopped it recently?  I've just come off this medicine and it took me a year to withdraw - that length of time being my decision, but ... definitely it should be weaned off over many months.  It can be quite scary going cold turkey and quite dangerous - it can be worse than suffering with whatever she has.  These meds work on the brain - I certainly wouldn't be playing around with meds like these - they're serious things, not something simple like antibiotics or asprin.

If she starts having severe withdrawal effects then she can reintroduce a small dose of the meds (should be with the help of a doctor), but then she'll also experience side effects of restarting, and of course this will be mixed with withdrawal too.  It can be a very rough time for her.

There's not much you can do except be there for her.  You won't be able to take away or ease any withdrawal effects she has.  Just keep an eye on her.  

• Posted

If she stops just like that she wil be verry I'll u need to seek s doctor

• Posted

daryl

It wil be a good idea not to come of the medication in one hop, the experience will be a serious learning exprience.

If She is withdrawing after five months on the medication the contrindications can be worse  possibly than going onto the drug. So you need to discuss withdrawal with your GP and He will help in a phased withdrawal. Depending on the dose and time on the medication She will need to take time,.

Sometimes patients come of the drug quicker than others, you will only know that as you withdraw.

Has She discussed this withdrawal with Her GP or CPN etc ??

BOB

• Posted

No she is stubburn,and won't listen to me grrrr,says she can do it on her own

• Posted

daryl

If she want to go and try on her own you have to accept that decision. I gather She is adult.

I hope she will be ok if not She will need to take medication to get rid of the contraindications. At least get her to nt throw any of the medication out until She knows everything out.

If the contraindications get severe she wil need to take the drug to calm Her condition. so I would again suggest she sees her gp before starting.

Somtimes when the GP is not asked for a repeat prescription He will need to see Her to renew Her script.

All I can say it is Her decision, it may take longer to withdraw from the drug when doing it the way She wants

Good Luck

Always around here

BOB

• Posted

Hello mate,

I have been on Celexa and have also decided to withdraw from it. It unfortunately hasn't worked for me as intended. Following on from what everybody else has said, I think going cold turkey is a really bad move. I'm really stubborn too and thought at first i could do it fine, but believe me it's not pretty.

My advice to your girlfriend is to reduce by 2.5mg at each stage. I've been on 20mg, so for me this is an 8 week process. They're powerful drugs and I've found my body is pretty fragile at the minute so I'd advise her to be patient and come off them responsibly.

I hope this is helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.