autoimmune diseases

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am wondering if a person is more liking to get PMR if they have or have had other autoimmune diseases. For example I also have alopecia (where the hair falls out in spots). I’ve had this for many years. I also have asthma which is also an autoimmune diseases. So I am asking who else had other autoimmune diseases prior to getting PMR?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

In general, anyone who has one autoimmune disorder is is more likely to develop another than someone who doesn't have one.

PMR can always be the first to appear - for example, I am not aware of having had anything else before the PMR. But you will find plenty of people on the forums who have more than one autoimmune disorder.

Some people never get a fixed name for their autoimmune disorder - they have many symptoms that are common to all and then there are specific ones which used to result in a name. In the meantime it has been realised that some patients may appear with symptoms that used to be ascribed to different disorders and also the developments in immunology and other lab sciences has changed the criteria with things that weren't measurable when the diseases were first identified. So now someone may be offered a label of Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease - a mishmash of several things. At some later point it may firm up into something more identifiable with earlier named illnesses. Or it may not.

I always think of autoimmune disorders as being like a shop counter with a load of shelves with boxes on them containing signs and symptoms. We queue up and get handed a selection, willy nilly sometimes. The label we get later often depends on what it resembles most. And sometimes it doesn't look like anything at all - so they just say UCTD and the patient goes home upset they didn't get told something recognisable, like lupus or PMR or RA. 

• Posted

You seem to know a lot about this stuff. Do you have a background in medicine?
    • Posted

I did physiology at Uni (after ditching medicine) and worked in biochemical medicine and research as a technologist. I translated medical/science/technology and pharmcology texts from German to English for 30-odd years and have been closely involved with the PMR/GCA charity for over 7 years and have had it myself for 12+ years. 

Mud sticks...

• Posted

It's only recently that I understood it was relevant but I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis (as far as I know unsymptomatic) in my 30s, probably had it far longer.  Also had contact dermatitis as a child and still have sensitive skin.

• Posted

I think yes.

I have had vitiligo and contact dermatitis most of my life. 2 bouts of PMR. They ALL wax and wane for me. 

• Posted

I have had chronic seborrheic dermatitis for over 40 years. Was told it was an autoimmune disease potentially caused by poisonous paint I scraped and sanded from the bottom of sailing yachts. It's not a big problem but it never cured.

• Posted

Yes I was dx with hyperthyroidism in my early 40's, rec'd radioiodine treatment, ten years later I became hypothyroid. One year ago, and MUCH older, I was dx with PMR and still have it.

• Posted

Before my PMR I was diagnosed with GCA and PBC. The docs now think it's just a fatty liver even though I have antimitochondrial antibodies,  a marker for PBC. None of the docs can explain that even at Mayo. My heart electrical problems, requiring a pacemaker, may also be related to autoimmune. My mom died of complications from lupus and also had Reynauds and scleraderma.

• Posted

I am not sure about this but my sister has Lupus and I have always thought we are similar in terms of autoimmune diseases.
  • Posted

my jury is still out,

however, the more I research auto-immune the more I find (of course ...).

While looking at "pain" I came across the possibility of an autoimmune cause for migraine and "new daily persistent headache" which I'd never heard of but suffice to say I've suffered a headache most of my life without ever getting a diagnosis but lots of failed treatment attempts.

About 15 years ago I copped Hashimoto's disease (hypo-thyroid).

PMR arrived a couple of years ago.

• Posted

Though it is an intetresting subject to find out if a majority of PMR/GCA patients has had an autoimmune disease before in their lives, we have to be careful about drawing conclusions about a relationship or even more difficult to prove a causality between them. If we find a minority has had no autoimmune disease before, then perhaps they may not have realized it? Or more damaging for causality, if we find that many more people that had an autoimmune disease do never develop PMR/GCA... This seems likely, since many forms of autoimmune diseases are much more common than our disease.
    • Posted

I can see what you’re saying, and can appreciate the complexity of assuming anything from a broad question. But I was interested in know this. I’ve often wondered about this.
    • Posted

Totally agree with you. It is an interesting question. And I think that perhaps people that have had other autoimmune problems before may also be more likely/susceptible to get PMR/GCA, if they also have the other factors: genetics, age, stress, gender (3x women...) etc.
    • Posted

But the converse is also true - now you have had PMR you are probably also more likely to develop another autoimmune disorder in the future. Just the future is less long because you are older. Probably the biggest conundrum is that illnesses we have had in the past may, in the future, be recognised as being autoimmune. 

I don't think there are any figures available about how various autoimmune disorders are linked - there are an awful lot of them. Does a higher proportion of Type 1 diabetics develop PMR? I don't think so, I don't know, but there have been very few Type 1 diabetics on the forums. The possible combinations is endless so I doubt there is an answer to the question.

It is only in the last about 10 years that PMR and GCA have been recognised fairly widely as being vasculitis not arthritis. Even more recently has it become apparent they are probably different levels of the same or very similar diseases - but the mechanism is still unknown, hence the lack of diagnostic certainty, cure or idea of how to look for one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.