Something that helped me

Posted , 7 users are following.

After finally debugging my IBS, I thought I'd share something that may seem obvious, but wasn't to me. Maybe it hasn't occurred to others either. I've seen it mentioned occasionally, but not nearly as much as what types of diets to be on.

My IBS completely stopped flaring when I cut down on the portions. Since finding good things to eat is so difficult, it was always tempting for me to make a lot of something so I didn't have to worry about it again for awhile. Once I stopped eating large portions, everything cleared up. a banana is a meal. A cup of yogurt is a meal. Etc.

Hope that helps someone.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have heard it said that smaller portions are better for the digestion whatever your state of health.
  • Posted

I agree with you Walter.   It is always better to eat small portions anyway, as our digestive system can cope with it much better.   I have to eat a little and fairly often, due to my very weak muscles and being unable to chew, with my chronic illnesses.

Hope your good suggestion will help others.      Gracegirl

• Posted

Yes, you are right. I did the same. I am eating little portions, and take probiotics every day, and the terrible pains has gone! smile Thank you!

• Posted

Dear Walter,   Yes, I would most certainly agree with you.   Smaller portions of food, plus plenty of probiotic yoghurts and plenty of water to drink is the most helpful for IBS.   Plus avoiding those foods which you know is bad for this condition. Porridge oats for breakfast with banana and dates, also good for you.  I also take a digestive enzme which is good.    With careful control, the flare-ups should be much lessened.   
  • Posted

I'm learning that the hard way. Every time I eat too much in any one

Meal, I feel bad for about 24 hours.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.