Just had my post op appt....pathology results..

Posted , 5 users are following.

I went today for my post op appt to have staples removed after having surgery 11 days ago and Dr went over my pathology report and said my lymph nodes were negative so now cancer now however he said something about it went deep into my muscle walls and said there is a chance of a reoccurance so he wants me to do radiation . I am not sure how to process this. Can someone shed some light on this for me. I am terrified now.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Michele don't re,ally understand Hun, hope you are feeling ok I am 8 days po had horrendous infections bombarded with antibiotics Iv and oral been back and fore home Tuesday back down wed afternoon readmitted thurs until sat back in emergency clinic yesterday, I am exhausted x

• Posted

Hi, Michelemuffin,

Am very glad to learn that the lymph nodes were negative, but so sorry about the radiation.  Did he give you more details about what he wants to do?  Where he wants to do it and how much? I've not had radiation, but that might help someone else respond to you.

Remember that if you're uncomfortable with anything, you can always request a second opinion about treatment options.

You're in my prayers! xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I'm glad you're op is all over for you and agree with Lynda I think you should go back and have another discussion with your consultant.  Sometimes we only take in a limited amount of information and I'm sure they'll understand if you need it explaining again.  Did anyone go with you?  I take a notepad and write things down so I don't forget!  I have no experience of radiation either I'm only 4 weeks post op so not seen my consultant yet.  It sounds like they think they've taken it all away but it went deep into your muscles and the radiaton is just a precautionary measure to ensure it doesn't come back.  I'd be positive - there's none in your lymph nodes which is a great sign.  

• Posted

Thanks Sarah....my husband was with me and the Dr just said there was a 15-20% chance of reoccurrence in 3-5 years cause it did go deep into my muscle but the keyword was "chance of reoccurrence" and that radiation treatments would cut that % rate in half . yeah my lymph nodes were clear and said the cancer didn't go outside my uterus just into the muscle

• Posted

Hi, Michele,

I'm assuming that you had endometrial cancer.  Did they stage it for you? You said that the cancer didn't leave the uterus.  

When my cancer was removed it had infiltrated the wall 60%, so I had 40% of my uterine wall intact.  My doctor said I wasn't a candidate for radiation or chemo, but suggested I take a drug called anastrozole.  This drug completely blocks estrogen production in the body, and is mostly used to treat breast cancer.  Estrogen is what drives the growth of endometrial cancer, as well as some breast cancers.  

I took anastrozole for 3 weeks, but the side effects left me feeling as though I were 87, not 67.  Still, it's an alternative to radiation.  I see my doctor in a couple of weeks, so I need to talk to him about side effects and what else we might be able to do.

I hope this information helps.  Best of luck!  You're in my prayers!  Let me know how you get on. xx   

• Posted

Hello Lynda. Yes I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer. When I had my total hysterectomy my oncologist said I had stage 1B and that there was a chance of reoccurance cause it was deep in the uterine muscle wall but he did not give me a percentage he just said he would recommend me to have radiology therapy but I didn't need chemotherapy. I don't know what to do.

• Posted

Sorry I didn't get right back to you...I'm not a doctor, as you know, but because anastrozole totally blocks estrogen, which is what needs to be done in estrogen sensitive breast cancers, it might work for you.  This is because if you take it, you won't have any estrogen in your body to feed any estrogen responsive cancer cells.

Have you thought about getting a second opinion as to treatment?  It seems to me that this is a heavy decision to place upon you, especially because you really don't have medical knowledge.  

Did he explain the side effects of radiation to you? xx 

• Posted

Hello again Lynda. Its OK for not getting back to me right away I am sure your busy too....😃 I have not thought about a second opinion and he didn't tell me anything about the radiation he said I need to ask that Dr he referred me to and he will explain it. I should have asked my oncologist what percentage was in my muscle. I read on Google that stage 1b it goes into half or more than half of your muscle but wish I knew what % mine was. Did your Dr give you a good prognosis ? I have always been afraid to die and when he told me about the reoccurance I was floored and I am still trying to process it......

• Posted

Hi Michele,  

I was at stage 1a.  As for what chances of ay reocurrance, he wasn't really clear, or if he was, I didn't hear him.  My husband came with me, but he didn't take notes. I'll be monitored, every 3 months for the next two years.  He said in all the years he'd been treating endometrial cancer at my stage, he hadn't had many paitents in which the cancer had come back.     

He offered me the pills, because he thought I might be interested in taking them as additional insurance against the cancer coming back, but he said he really didn't know if I needed them or not. I wanted more certainty, so I asked him if he would offer them to his wife, and he said, he wouldn't.  But told me that I'm a different person than his wife...maddening.

I, too, struggle with fears of death.  But I do think that if one has tried everything and is weak and in pain death is usually welcomed as a friend.  It's only our ego that is terrified.  Our spirit knows it's going home.

So, I guess, for me, I'm just trying to take things as they come, and do what I can do.  I also learned that trying to stiffle my feelings didn't help me.  And, that though I was scared to death, I needed to sleep.  So, if you need help dealing with your feelings or sleeping, don't hesitate to ask for medication.  

I am praying for you! Please let me know how you're doing.  Send me a private message, if you'd like.  xx  

• Posted

Hey Lynda......I have been googling everything and that's why I get scared like I do but my husband tells me not to believe everything I see on Google and wishes I would stop searching lol....

I thought stage 1A infiltrated less than half of the muscle and stage 1B infiltrates over half .....that's what confuses me....my oncologist said I don't have to do the radiation but he highly recommends that I do.

I have anxiety too and have medicine for that so that helps some. I just need to stop worrying so much.

• Posted

My oncologist said that staging is on a continuum, and that lots of factors go into staging a cancer.  So, it's up to the pathologist.  One pathologist can be more um, conservative than another.  

I think that a patient looks to the doctor for certainties. I've learned that there really aren't any.  I was brought up to believe that doctors could give you definite answers.  They can't sad

I am somewhat comforted that they will continue to monitor me, and to do scans if they think necessary for 3 months every 2 years.  That way, if something develops they can catch it. Meanwhile, I need to get healthy, at least as healthy as I can get.

If you would like my opinion, if I was at stage 1B I'd consider doing the radiation, but I'd find out about all the side effects (including googling it) so I could have enough knowledge to pin the doctor down if he seemed to be dodging a question. Some doctors don't want to say anything negative, and just hope everything goes well for the patient.    

I think it's perfectly human to worry... BIG HUG for you, my dear! xxx 

• Posted

I am definitely gonna do the radiation my husband and I just have to ask the radiologist how long can I wait to start cause I need to heal first and we know its gonna cost and we can only afford so much you know.....Google says the radiologist likes to start treatment 9 weeks after surgery to have a better success rate so idk
    • Posted

Good.  I'm glad you're going to do it.  Please let me know how you get on! xxx

• Posted

I will Lynda and thank you so much for talking to me it has helped more than you know. Keep in touch.
    • Posted

I will.  Just remember that you can private message me as well.  I know that this is a crazy, stressful time for you! xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.