Prozac or celexa

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've just been prescribed prozac for anxiety and mild depression does anyone know if this works and what are the side effects? I also have an option to take celexa does anyone know which one works better

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It worked for me but it took 10 weeks to get over the side effects, mine included shakes, extreme nausea, no appetite, sleeplessness, yawning, itching skin & hives, extreme sweating including feet, headaches, fatigue, joint & muscle aches, distorted vision, worsening anxiety for first 7 - 10 days. I've been on them for 17 weeks and now I am over the worst and glad I persevered with them.

• Posted

Either - they both work the same.  Different people get on better with different meds, and its often trial and error finding the correct one to suit you.  Usually the first one you take works well.

They do take a long time to work and often you don't see any improvement for many weeks, sometimes months.  You need to just dig your heels in, however bad you feel, and get through the side effects and out the other side.

It gets worse before it gets better.  But the meds will really help you.  

• Posted

Well I'm going to try the celexa and see how that makes me feel I also have xanax if I experience and anxiety during the process so hopefully I get better and overcome anxiety I'm do tired of feeling anxious and down

• Posted

Celexa (Citalopram) is the I took - its a good meds.  They all basically do the same though, but some suit certain people better than others.  I was also tired of years of anxiety, but within 6 months of starting these meds I recovered.  They make take a while for you, but the wait is so worth it.

Good luck and keep in touch with everyone.

K x

• Posted

Meant to say 'is the ONE I took' rolleyes

• Posted

prozac is the most side effect free antidepressant ive tried

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.